sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 27, 2021 7:09 pm  #1

When The TV "Bug" Bites You In The - Well, You'll See

I'm not entirely sure when those infamous little logos called "bugs" started appearing at the bottom of the screen during newscasts and other shows. I recall City TV was one of the first to do it in Toronto. Now everyone is doing it. The point seems to be making any station instantly identifiable for any ratings service or viewer that might happen by. You always know exactly what you're watching, even if you're not sure what it is they're showing. 

Which brings us to WISN, channel 12 in Milwaukee. The station was doing a special celebration of its 60 years on the air, which is laudable. But when they put the piece on their website, they also added a second bug to the screen. So what started as a key saying "WISN 12 On Assignment" wound up being covered up for the entire segment - and this is what viewers saw. 

Amazing no one at the station noticed this.

I guess I've gotten used to the bugs over the years (I notice CBS now puts theirs on the left side during their network shows, instead of the more traditional right part of the screen) but I still find them pretty annoying. I suppose after a while, you just stop really seeing them at all. 

The History of WISN 12

October 27, 2021 7:45 pm  #2

Re: When The TV "Bug" Bites You In The - Well, You'll See

Hate the bugs!

October 27, 2021 8:13 pm  #3

I always thought the bugs were introduced by the U.S. networks on their nightly newscasts so that viewers knew the source of the report. Often local stations would run the story but cut off the "John Jones NBC News Detroit"  at the end. The bug clearly shows the origination of the news segment.

October 27, 2021 8:16 pm  #4

I'm not entirely sure when they began or who did it first. I always thought local stations started it back in the 90s (when people still filled out ratings diaries) to make it extremely apparent what station people were watching their local news on. They were a big prestige and moneymaker back then, so the numbers really mattered. Not sure if the networks led on this or followed.

October 27, 2021 8:16 pm  #5

I believe the bugs started on European television in the 60's.  I remember when Channel 11 would show soccer matches in the mid sixties  and any of the matches they featured from Europe always had the network logo in one of the corners.  So you would see the logo of the Italian, French, German network that was producing the game. 

Johnny Lombardi's CHIN TV would show the logo all the time back in the early 70's on their local programming long before it became the norm in North America.  Stations and networks especially the smaller ones would use it as a bit of promotion during the program.   

Don't know if this is true, but I was told that networks in North America started putting the logo on all of their programming when everyone was recording TV programming on their VCR's and would give taped movies to friends or make copies of a movie or show etc.  This was just a reminder that what they were doing was illegal making copies and the logo was always there in the corner to make the point. Also it could have been used for the ratings when more and more stations and cable networks came on.  They would want to make sure that people knew what network and show they were watching.  

I remember a bar that didn't have cable would tape videos off of Much Music or Video Hits and show the videos in the bar.  They would try to edit out the VJ bits and just keep the music video, but the Much Music logo was always there in the corner. They were pretty bad at the editing of the VJ breaks and commercials.

Last edited by paterson1 (October 27, 2021 8:18 pm)

October 27, 2021 9:42 pm  #6

That's a very interesting theory. It could be true. I'm not really sure how it would be traced back. A Wikipedia article on this seems to agree with you that protecting copyright is one of the major reasons this started. It just doesn't say where or when. 

They also have an explanation of an interesting problem that only affects Canada, when they don't get a clean feed, a show is simulcast and the U.S. provider has its own bug on the screen. It outlines how Canadian stations deal with it, mostly by either covering up the bug with its own brand or putting their logo somewhere else on the screen and just letting it run that way. 

Either way, it makes for a very cluttered and unattractive picture in my mind and frankly, I hate the practice. But it's certainly here to stay. 

Wikipedia: Digital On-Screen Graphics In Canada

October 27, 2021 11:23 pm  #7

Anyway, this is what I was told by some TV folk a long time ago and if it ever went to court for pirating, the station or network logo shown during  the movie, video, sitcom would help to prove piracy.  The bug is not an issue with me at all, don't even notice it unless they start with an animated colour logo like CHCH for the first 10 seconds and move to just the faint white logo.  I remember back in the late 90's  CTV had animated colour bugs coming out of commercials, with a rubik's cube effect of the CTV logo, very well done and they varied it quite a bit.

With the cluttered media universe the identification of the network, station, service etc is essential, you are right it is here to stay.  Saturday Night Live has both the Global Comedy logo and NBC logo ghosted on the screen, but most prime time shows have a clean feed with only one logo.

I remember when Rob Ford was on the news all over the place, the Toronto Star imprinted a large ghost logo over their exclusive video that ran on news networks around the world.  Globe and Mail does the same thing.  So no matter where it runs, they get some credit for the scoop. 

October 28, 2021 3:01 am  #8

Actually the bug is also a "Follow suit" deal here in Canada so that the Canadian bug can cover up the American bug during a sim sub. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 28, 2021 7:04 am  #9

On NFL simsubs, CTV  puts their bug in the top left corner of the screen. The U.S. network bug is clearly viewable bottom right.

October 28, 2021 10:34 am  #10

What I do find sometimes annoying are the banner ads at the bottom of the screen that come up  out of commercial breaks, or at the beginning of the program.  15 second promos or graphics for an upcoming new series, special or even paid commercial.   All of the OTA networks seem to be doing this a lot more now.   

Also news graphics can be annoying.  I have seen news reports with huge graphics with a headline at the bottom of the screen that covers much of the video they are showing.  Not long ago CNN had a breaking news clip of some people getting rescued out of a car in a flood.  Problem was the graphic at the bottom of the screen explaining the rescue was over top of the people getting helped out of the car.  So what you saw was a jiggly camera shot showing lots of sky and trees and the helicopter but very little of the actual rescue because the the graphic.   

October 28, 2021 11:02 am  #11

This happens a lot and if you were in the control room while the newscast is on, you can often hear the producer - if he or she isn't distracted by something else - yell "Lose the key!" But by the time the graphics operator does it, the viz is usually over and it's too late. This never used to be a real issue in the past, because a super would come up, stay on screen for about 5 or 6 seconds and then be taken off. 

Now they're glued onto the story for its entirety, something that's never really made much sense to me. But the all-news stations started doing it a number of years ago and now every single newscast - including the local ones - do it non-stop. It's really not necessary for a non-stop key. But they do it anyway. 

And can someone remind NBC that not EVERY story is "breaking news?" It's just getting silly. 

October 28, 2021 12:39 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

And can someone remind NBC that not EVERY story is "breaking news?" It's just getting silly. 

Back in the day, the key words were "...and this just in!" 
As long as it was fresh new news, it was "this just in" and there was never any mention of "breaking news" 
I suppose back then, "This just in" must have been just as annoying as constantly being made aware of "Breaking news".

Thankfully, CP24 prefers to use the term "Happening now" instead of making everything seem too much like Breaking news all the time.  

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 28, 2021 1:02 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 29, 2021 8:49 pm  #13

I remember the bugs on the big three US networks as early as 1993. CBC started using one around 1994, though I don’t recall CTV using one until 1998.

I can remember in the mid-90s Canadian stations would cover the bug with their own logo if it was a news item picked up from another station or a US network. Global used to do that, and I remember CFPL in London did that a lot. First it was a BBS logo, and then after being bought by CHUM, they’d put a giant “News Now” logo over the City logo if showing an item from CityPulse. It was incredibly distracting.