sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 20, 2021 3:45 pm  #1

CKTB's On-Air Hum Turns Into A Hilarious Tom McConnell Show Mystery

A few weeks ago, there was a thread here about why there was a 15-minute dead air gap in the middle of the afternoon show on CKTB. 

On Wednesday came another treat for radio fans. It started when someone texted in that they heard a hum in the background of the signal on 610 and wanted to make sure the host knew about it. Most people would just turn that report over to engineering and move on.

Not Tom McConnell and his producer.

He not only read the text on air, he presumably switched to the on-air feed, paused so he could hear it and pronounced it a 60 Hz hum. He then asked his producer, who frequently contributes to his show, if he was using the "news mic." He replied no. 

After a commercial break and more listener messages about the noise, they did an entire segment trying to figure it out. That included cutting McConnell's mic and playing music to see if it was still there. But the hum remained.

He asked for those out of town to respond, as well, because some in Toronto said they couldn't hear it. 

Then it started becoming a thing, with one wise guy texting he'd like them to turn it up. McConnell's response - 'we're working on putting up a secondary audio channel so you can just hear the hum.'

But probably the best one came from a listener who said, "I'd rather hear the hum than a call from Sonny" (from Richmond Hill, an annoying regular caller who's been banned by almost all the Toronto talk stations.)

Eventually, the engineer on duty called in to say he was heading in to check on the problem and if it wasn't at the station, he would go to the transmitter. All through it, McConnell was explaining to listeners about how radio works and how he was on a direct feed and a delay, telling them "you (the listeners) are our monitors who tell us when we're off the air."

All in all, they turned a strange situation into something very fun and entertaining. And that's not something you would normally hear on a talk show having even minor technical difficulties. 

I'm no engineer, but I can guess the cause of the hum.

It probably didn't know the words...

October 20, 2021 3:58 pm  #2

Re: CKTB's On-Air Hum Turns Into A Hilarious Tom McConnell Show Mystery

So is the "Hum" still there? Or solved?

October 20, 2021 5:02 pm  #3

Last I listened, it was. They were doing a 5 PM newscast and I think I could still hear it. It's very faint, but it's there. 

McConnell came back after the newscast to talk again about what he was now calling the "hum/buzz." The odd thing about is that, depending on where the listeners were, some heard it and some didn't. (And of course, it wasn't there on a smart speaker.)

He then incredibly asked his producer to allow 10 seconds of dead air, so people could turn their radios up to see if they could still hear it. It was there. They then did another 10 secs. - remember, all this is going on in the middle of the afternoon drive show! It was hilarious and has become a show-long thing. 

They took great pains to note the dead air could only be 10 secs. long. After 30 secs., the engineer on duty gets an emergency alarm and gets paged, so they couldn't go longer than that. 

I love the fact they've turned it into an actual topic on the show. They've moved onto other things, but it's been a lot of fun to listen to. 

Last edited by RadioActive (October 20, 2021 5:17 pm)

October 21, 2021 2:28 pm  #4

Whatever was causing that hum, it's 20 times worse on Thursday. It's very loud and very annoying - enough to give you a headache if you listen for any length of time. I suspect it may be in the studio to transfer link, but I'm not sure if they've confirmed what the origin is - or why it's taking so long to fix. 

You can tune in 610 to hear it, in case you'd like to hum along. 

October 21, 2021 4:29 pm  #5

Not sure if anyone cares, but at approx. 3:56 PM, the signal crackled out several times, came back, went out again twice more, and then finally returned - without the hum. The problem that plagued the station, whatever it was, is over. But it sure was fun while it lasted!

October 21, 2021 9:37 pm  #6

Making lemonade from lemons. Good job. That's thinking on your feet.

I think they were running reduced power during the Canada Day holiday weekend. I am wondering if the station needs a little maintenance at the transmitter site.