sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2021 8:11 am  #1

Carry Over

Noted that during the election campaign some political types were beating the drum for lower cellphone bills. 
Believe that when I see it but would certainly settle for this. A "Carry Over" plan.
I use more data at our cottage in the summer months ..where we don't have Wifi..and hardly any at home in the winter ..where we do. Would be great to be able to bank that unused data.
It is bascially  " use it or lose it"  when it comes to the big carriers .. even though you have already paid for it.!

https://www.upphone.com/learn/glossary/carriers-lg/what-is-carryover-data-verizon/#:~:text=Carryover%20Data%20is%20a%20Verizon,high%2Dspeed%20cellular%20data%20allotment.

October 7, 2021 8:59 am  #2

Re: Carry Over

I'm not sure how much data gets used up using your phone as a radio,
but I do know that if you're using up all your data as is, a "Carryover" plan is useless.
If anything it motivates one to pay for MORE data in a higher plan than what one wants or needs. 
These phone companies know what they're doing. They're not stupid. 
If you max out at only 7.5gb you will still be forced to take the 10gb plan anyway.
(they will insist that a 7.5GB plan simply does not exist)
It would be nice to take a 7.5GB plan in the first place based on average use, rather than based on guessing a maximum intended profit on data usage. 

Long story short, if history shows that you never go over 7.5GB, the cell phone companies DELIBERATELY tell you it's a 10GB plan you need. carryover is meaningless if they refuse to sell you a 7.5GB plan in the first place.  If you are never ever using the difference between 7.5 and 10 it is highly to THEIR benefit NEVER yours. 

*based on always going over 5GB & being billed monthly for 10GB, selling you more data than you need is perhaps how carryover is profitable.

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 7, 2021 9:36 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 7, 2021 10:15 am  #3

Highly doubtful that it will ever happen...

October 7, 2021 10:25 am  #4

When I purchased my first smart phone, I had 2.5GB of data, As I discovered more uses for my phone , my data requirements increased. I went to 5GB and currently have 10. Most of the time my usage is in the 6-7GB range. Listening to music doesn't use much data. Watching tv gobbles up data at a very high rate.

October 7, 2021 12:54 pm  #5

mace wrote:

When I purchased my first smart phone, I had 2.5GB of data, As I discovered more uses for my phone , my data requirements increased. I went to 5GB and currently have 10. Most of the time my usage is in the 6-7GB range. Listening to music doesn't use much data. Watching tv gobbles up data at a very high rate.

Yup. IPTV added to your phone is also one good way to eat the battery fast. Even with the newer phones, 100% drops to 67 percent after just 1 1/2-2 hrs of television viewing. 

Battery life is an issue also.

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 8, 2021 11:51 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 8, 2021 9:21 am  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

mace wrote:

Yup. IPTV added to your phone is one good way to eat the battery fast. Even with the newer phones, 100% drops to 67 percent after just 1 1/2-2 hrs of television viewing. 
When I am at home Sunday afternoons, I will put one NFL game on my 65" tv, a second game on my laptop, and a third game via wifi on my phone. I haven't noticed excessive phone battery usage when I do this.