sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2021 5:39 pm  #1

Peter Mansbridge Has A Pointed & Poignant Message For The CBC

The former anchor of The National admits he doesn't want to say anything nasty about the network where he toiled for decades. But he does have some advice for them, as quoted in a Toronto Star article:

“If the CBC is going to be the same as everybody else — if the CBC is going to run rip-offs of American game shows or popular BBC soap operas — is that what we exist for? I don’t think so...

“The CBC has got to be different, and different in a meaningful and thoughtful and instructive way,” says Mansbridge. “Or you have a hard time making the argument to keep it. And we don’t want to have that discussion.”

Not to mention this:

“Somewhere in all this, the CBC lost its way, I think. And they’ve got to get back on track. I mean, when you look at the CBC these days, and see that the top-rated shows are like ‘Coronation Street’ and ‘Family Feud,’ hopefully, this will change a little bit when we get into the real schedule but, you know, it’s a prime-time lineup that is not attracting Canadians." 

Peter Mansbridge has a new memoir about his past and shares his fears over the CBC’s future

October 6, 2021 9:54 am  #2

Re: Peter Mansbridge Has A Pointed & Poignant Message For The CBC

The CBC has been running Coronation Street since 1966. For many years it ran weekday afternoons. Several years ago CBC decided to move the very popular British soap to the 7pm primetime lead timeslot. Smart move. No guarantee, but possibly some of the large Corrie audience might stick around to sample parts of the network's evening lineup. If the CBC ever got rid of Corrie?  A protest would be a vast understatement. You should see the size of the scroll that runs across the screen advising viewers of a temporary pre-emption or timeslot change.

October 6, 2021 10:17 am  #3

I think CBC TV is fine to show really popular overseas programming like Corrie to support the rest of its program schedule. I also don’t mind if CBC is licensing shows like Family Feud for broadcast in Canada - it’s not like the other broadcasters are doing it.

As long as CBC has a decent mix of popular, bold, and for lack of better words, high-brow programming that’s not being offered by anyone else, then it’s OK. It’s a plus if CBC is able to sell their original programming overseas.

October 6, 2021 11:13 am  #4

To me a lot of CBC's problem is their news operation.  And this has an effect on the rest of their schedule.  They are perceived by many as being too sympathetic to the left and focus on special interest groups and topics that the average Canadian is not interested in.  Other networks cover these areas as well, but CBC seems to dwell more on these topics and in much greater detail.  This is a generalization but rightly or wrongly it  is the image for many of their news.

Also because the network is a crown corporation, they are also mandated to include programming that private broadcasters are not required to have on their schedules.  Children/Educational shows, and some specialized programming that is not of general interest but to specific groups like farming or fishing. 

CTV news clobbers CBC head to head in ratings and has for decades.  However it could not only be CBC's left of centre image.   The news schedule on the main network is moved around and shortened almost every night for two months with NHL hockey playoffs.  This is great for general ratings but kills their newscasts, even with the addition of a news network.  Both CTV and Global's 11pm newscasts rarely are moved or late because of special programming.  Over the decades the playoffs on Hockey Night in Canada has possibly done permanent damage to The National.  

So I disagree with Peter's assessment of CBC.  BBC does have many mass appeal shows like Family Feud, and they seem to have more success against the private commercial networks in the UK.  But the BBC has the balance right between mass appeal and the more specialized or high brow programming that they have on the schedule.  Often CBC tries too hard to  include everyone or every group in  their programming.  This is admirable, but you don't need to attempt this all the time or as much as they do.  

Last edited by paterson1 (October 6, 2021 11:14 am)

October 6, 2021 12:16 pm  #5

I despaired of CBC when they scrapped RCI. I gave up on them completely when they flipped Radio II from its mostly classical and jazz format to their All Garage Band format.

I rarely watch TV.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.