sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 1, 2021 4:27 pm  #1

Looking For Something TV-Related To Do In 1963? Try This

You get all this for just $2.95. (Lunch included.) What a bargain!

October 3, 2021 10:31 am  #2

Re: Looking For Something TV-Related To Do In 1963? Try This

Doing that today would translate to an exact amount of $26.35  
The closest thing today, done for free is that Open doors idea...not the same...but close.
Tours of TV stations are offered during that time. You get to see News people in action, etc...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 4, 2021 8:55 am  #3

Several years ago, CFTO was part of Doors Open Toronto. I gave up when I saw the lineup of vehicles waiting to access the parking lot. When I was in California in 1986, I took the NBC Studio Tour. Part of it included a visit to the KNBC News set. The tour guide asked for a volunteer to do the weather. Having seen Bill Lawrence do the CBC weather live at the CNE, I was aware of the blue screen. The poor guy who volunteered didn't. He was asked to point out Los Angeles on the map. and his finger was around Vancouver. The guide moved the screen map to reach where the finger was pointing. NBC was the only network to offer tours of its West Coast facilities. Sadly, they were discontinued in July 2012.

October 4, 2021 9:12 am  #4

City TV used to do tours at least once a year. I remember hearing about staffers there wearily preparing for the crowds that gathered, who wandered through the newsroom with a guide (one of the station's employees, who volunteered to do the job) and stopped at each place and explained what each person was doing. 

It was fascinating for the public, but it was kind of annoying to have people tramping through your workspace while you were trying to get stuff done on a deadline. Still, that was the price of publicity and it helped cement City as a part of Toronto. Sadly, Rogers has pretty much destroyed that hard-won reputation and made it all corporate.