sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 26, 2021 5:28 pm  #1

Price Is Right To Mark Amazing 50 Yrs. But Not Without Controversy

Next Thursday, CBS will broadcast the first ever 2-hour long Price Is Right, a combination game show and celebration episode, marking the program being on the air (in its current incarnation) for an astounding 50 years. 

According to the listing for the show, which airs at 9 PM, it will have an amalgamation of genres:

"Commemorating 50 years of the game show with a look back at the biggest winners, never-before-seen outtakes and a salute to Bob Barker; contestants play iconic pricing games for extravagant luxury cars and big cash prizes."

However, one critic is already incensed at CBS for airing a "feature" on the milestone on its landmark Sunday Morning show, while apparently deliberately leaving out some of the controversies that have plagued the longest running game show in television history. (Although why he'd think the network would taint what is essentially an 8-minute promo with shady behind the scenes rancor is beyond me.)

“The Price is Right” But the Story’s Missing Scandals: “CBS Sunday Morning” Whitewashes Game Show’s History

You can watch the CBS piece here.

September 27, 2021 8:58 am  #2

Re: Price Is Right To Mark Amazing 50 Yrs. But Not Without Controversy

Despite some of the lawsuits over the years, viewers still love to see average people like themselves win big prizes on TPIR. It is one of the reasons CBS has been the number one network in daytime viewers since 1986. I found some numbers for the week of Dec 14, 2020 from Soap Opera Network.  Price Is Right-2 had 4.661M viewers. Price Is Right-1 had 4.137M. The View on ABC had 2.843M viewers.

September 27, 2021 9:44 am  #3

You need a VPN set to the U.S. but Pluto TV has a channel that plays nothing but the Bob Barker era Price Is Right. There are so many episodes available, that it's unlikely anyone tuning in regularly will ever see the same one twice. (And yes, there WAS a time when cars sold for about $5,000!)

Come On Down! The All-Day, All-Night Price Is Right Channel

September 27, 2021 11:28 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

You need a VPN set to the U.S. but Pluto TV has a channel that plays nothing but the Bob Barker era Price Is Right. There are so many episodes available, that it's unlikely anyone tuning in regularly will ever see the same one twice. (And yes, there WAS a time when cars sold for about $5,000!)

Come On Down! The All-Day, All-Night Price Is Right Channel

They have a channel on YouTube and it’s open to Canadians.

September 28, 2021 2:11 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

(And yes, there WAS a time when cars sold for about $5,000!)

I'd love to see what a LADA car sold for back then.
IN 1992 a LADA car was only $5000!!  The 70's must have had them for a thousand something...(?)

There is a joke on the show "El Cheapo" for one of their games. I wonder if it was a LADA they were giving away? lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 1, 2021 10:26 am  #6

There have been 38 models aka Barker's Beauties who have appeared since it's premiere on Labour Day 1972. Janice Pennington lasted the longest, 1972-2000.

October 1, 2021 3:19 pm  #7

I watched last night’s special.

Bob didn’t appear in person, which was kind of expected given his age and the pandemic (and who knows what his health is like). But there was an on-stage appearance by Vanna White - yes, from Wheel of Fortune. She was actually a contestant on TPIR a couple years before she joined Wheel of Fortune, so they had her model for one of the items up for bids. Her and Drew had a chat on-stage after.

There was also a well-done tribute to Johnny Olsen, the original announcer from 1972 until his sudden death from a stroke in 1985, as well as Rod Roddy who did the same job from 1986 until his death from cancer in 2003.

Speaking of Rod Roddy, I believe he worked on WKBW Radio at one point, no?

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (October 1, 2021 3:20 pm)

October 1, 2021 3:27 pm  #8

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Speaking of Rod Roddy, I believe he worked on WKBW Radio at one point, no?

Indeed, he did. He was also the narrator on the TV comedy "Soap." Here's a 2002 article from the Buffalo News about the years Roddy spent in that city. 

Price Is Right's Rod Roddy Fell Into A Couple of Lucky Breaks

I had completely forgotten about Rich Fields, who is also a pretty well-known meteorologist in the L.A. area. He now works in that capacity for KCBS and KCAL in the City of Angels.