sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 13, 2021 7:04 am  #1

Another Former CHUM Jock Is Gone

He wasn't there in the glory days of the nifty 1050, but some here may remember a jock named Banana Joe Montione, who occupied an air chair at CHUM-AM for a few years, starting in 1977. He worked in many other markets, including Philly and Los Angeles (where he was on air at the legendary KHJ), before buying and running his own radio stations - including one in his hometown of Pittston, P.A. and starting his own Internet outlet.

He was only 67 years old.

Banana Joe Montione Obit

September 13, 2021 7:32 am  #2

Re: Another Former CHUM Jock Is Gone

Banana Joe is an excellent example of trying extra hard to get as much information as possible in in as little time possible without sounding like an auctioneer. The listener could still understand him clearly.
Adding to all that, hitting posts perfectly.  That's not just talent, that's skill. He will be missed.

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 13, 2021 7:34 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 13, 2021 9:06 am  #3

Never heard of the guy. But by 1977, I had abandoned the AM band, except for DXing.

September 16, 2021 12:23 pm  #4

Anybody who can give the weather forecast, squeeze in the Banana Joe jingle and hit the post is good; really good.

September 17, 2021 7:58 am  #5

It seems to me that this is an example of what's missing in today's radio.

Banana Joe was a performer, an entertainer, a personality, that brought energy to the music playlist.

You can't listen to this type of broadcast without being engaged.

You can't find it in today's Toronto market.  Everything is bland, low energy, and not too different from a playlist on my phone.  No reason to listen.

RIP Banana Joe

September 17, 2021 9:22 am  #6

=12pxYou can't find it in today's Toronto market.  Everything is bland, low energy, and not too different from a playlist on my phone.  No reason to listen.

Not like it was when it was BC radio.....(before computers).  When was the last time a live remote was a pseudo studio with turntables, a tape machine, a microphone and a live body reading logged spots.  Today it's a cellphone.  What a shame.