sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 4, 2021 9:07 pm  #1


The End Of ISDN Lines

At least in the U.S. For those who don't know, these were kind of very high-quality phone lines that allowed for studio quality on air. Another casualty of the Internet. 

But the best line from the linked article comes at the very beginning:

"ISDN stands for Integrated Services Digital Network (though many engineers say it means It Still Does Not Work)."

Goodbye ISDN, Hello Streaming

 

September 4, 2021 9:40 pm  #2


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

RIP Bell landline also. 
Try getting one. They no longer install jacks or reconnect the classic phone jack.
You can still have a Bell landline, but it is now done through a modem. 

 


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

 
 

September 4, 2021 11:59 pm  #3


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

Radiowiz wrote:

RIP Bell landline also. 
Try getting one. They no longer install jacks or reconnect the classic phone jack.
You can still have a Bell landline, but it is now done through a modem. 

 

Would that be the case everywhere? There are still many rural areas where Bell’s only Internet option is dial-up, so I’d imagine they’d still offer traditional landline services in those areas.

 

September 5, 2021 1:29 am  #4


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RIP Bell landline also. 
Try getting one. They no longer install jacks or reconnect the classic phone jack.
You can still have a Bell landline, but it is now done through a modem. 

 

Would that be the case everywhere? There are still many rural areas where Bell’s only Internet option is dial-up, so I’d imagine they’d still offer traditional landline services in those areas.

Bell tells me that it has been terminated everywhere. No more dial up. Nothing. Somehow Bell has managed to replace all that.


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

 
 

September 5, 2021 6:28 am  #5


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

Radiowiz wrote:

Bell tells me that it has been terminated everywhere. No more dial up. Nothing. Somehow Bell has managed to replace all that.

Interesting. Obviously that's their long-term goal, but surprised it would've happened so relatively quickly given how vast Ontario is and lots of rural areas. It might be they're pushing/moving people to the "Wireless Home Phone" (Telus link, but just to illustrate) concept where it's a small unit with a SIM card and operates on the cell network but any landline phones plug into a jack on that, instead of the wall.

 

September 5, 2021 7:16 am  #6


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

I am having an issue with Rogers billing . My latest invoice has two charges from a Triton Global third party that I made two calls thru their system to US based numbers totaling 90.00$ for 3 minutes of time. Obviously these calls were not from my landline although Rogers is adamant they are and are refusing to credit me. I have to assume some sort of hack was committed . Would anyone here have any information regarding Triton Global and how this hack of my number is possible to be performed ? A search of Triton Global shows hundreds of similar complaints against them . The Rogers rep refused to even acknowledge the name which tells me they are well aware of it.  I plan to go to small claims court if it comes to it. Thanks. 

 

September 5, 2021 7:20 am  #7


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

I, for one, would miss POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) and a landline. Why? In the worst emergencies, during a blackout when your cell is running on fumes, about to die and can't be recharged, your plugged-into-the-wall phone always works. It's been a God-send to me more times than I can count in the past, most especially that ice storm a few years ago. 

I have a cell and cordless phones, as well, but I always keep at least one that doesn't depend on electricity. 

Ask those living in the dark in Louisiana for the last week if they'd like a landline right about now. 

     Thread Starter
 

September 5, 2021 7:24 am  #8


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

mic'em wrote:

I am having an issue with Rogers billing . My latest invoice has two charges from a Triton Global third party that I made two calls thru their system to US based numbers totaling 90.00$ for 3 minutes of time. Obviously these calls were not from my landline although Rogers is adamant they are and are refusing to credit me. I have to assume some sort of hack was committed . Would anyone here have any information regarding Triton Global and how this hack of my number is possible to be performed ? A search of Triton Global shows hundreds of similar complaints against them . The Rogers rep refused to even acknowledge the name which tells me they are well aware of it.  I plan to go to small claims court if it comes to it. Thanks. 

Try this first.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

It's the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-Telephone Services (CCTS), a government-required agency that deals with consumer gripes against the Big 3. Not saying they'll be able to resolve your issue but if you have proof, they may help you avoid court. And you can submit your complaint online. 

     Thread Starter
 

September 5, 2021 4:30 pm  #9


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

I just ordered a POTS line and I am in south Mississauga.  The DSLAM that I have for Internet cannot handle the IP phone system that Bell uses as it is very old and is a bonded line to get that into my Bell Home Hub 3000 modem!  I can only get 50 Meg down and 10 Meg up for internet and that is the fastest that they can get for me and I am just across the street from Long Branch Go Station.  If I add TV, then my internet drops down to 25 and 10.

Now I do have to install my own jacks as they now just terminate the line (demarcation) out on the street and they did supply me with the DSL filters to put on the copper line for the phone.  Funny thing is across the street is Toronto and the orange Bell Fibre line is right there as I can see the designation tag and the fiber splitter.  They just wont run it across the street into Mississauga.!

 

September 5, 2021 4:35 pm  #10


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

Now as to the ISDN, yes most markets in the States no longer offer it and most markets in Canada also dont offer it anymore.  Bell generally will not even tell you its possible but if you have a contact in Bell, you can still get it in some areas because they haven't removed the switching equipment that handles the format.  The biggest issue now is if it is indeed available, there is no one who knows how to set it up properly and even confirm that it is indeed working.  I would be using IP based technology whenever I could get it.

 

September 5, 2021 4:42 pm  #11


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

RadioActive wrote:

I, for one, would miss POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) and a landline. Why? In the worst emergencies, during a blackout when your cell is running on fumes, about to die and can't be recharged, your plugged-into-the-wall phone always works. It's been a God-send to me more times than I can count in the past, most especially that ice storm a few years ago. 

I have a cell and cordless phones, as well, but I always keep at least one that doesn't depend on electricity. 

Ask those living in the dark in Louisiana for the last week if they'd like a landline right about now. 

I absolutely agree 100% with the Bell traditional landline, but Bell is abandoning it. Those who have it are now grandfathered. When the power goes out the phone still works.
I used to joke "It's too bad I can't plug other things into that jack, like a toaster oven or something, lol"
but now,
If the power goes out, I need my landline less and less, (I also switched to Rogers, which goes to voice mail when power is out)
as long as the actual wireless towers don't go down.
Here's what one needs for their Cell Phone in a power outage:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/helix-turbov-20000-mah-power-bank-black/13967056

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/power-banks/33407?icmp=bbym_portablechargingaccessories_shopby_powerbanks

Important to note: It's good to have at least two powerbanks in case one fails, or is not already charged enough.
 

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 5, 2021 4:47 pm)


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

 
 

September 5, 2021 7:56 pm  #12


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I, for one, would miss POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) and a landline. Why? In the worst emergencies, during a blackout when your cell is running on fumes, about to die and can't be recharged, your plugged-into-the-wall phone always works. It's been a God-send to me more times than I can count in the past, most especially that ice storm a few years ago. 

I have a cell and cordless phones, as well, but I always keep at least one that doesn't depend on electricity. 

Ask those living in the dark in Louisiana for the last week if they'd like a landline right about now. 

I absolutely agree 100% with the Bell traditional landline, but Bell is abandoning it. Those who have it are now grandfathered. When the power goes out the phone still works.
I used to joke "It's too bad I can't plug other things into that jack, like a toaster oven or something, lol"
but now,
If the power goes out, I need my landline less and less, (I also switched to Rogers, which goes to voice mail when power is out)
as long as the actual wireless towers don't go down.
Here's what one needs for their Cell Phone in a power outage:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/helix-turbov-20000-mah-power-bank-black/13967056

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/power-banks/33407?icmp=bbym_portablechargingaccessories_shopby_powerbanks

Important to note: It's good to have at least two powerbanks in case one fails, or is not already charged enough.
 

That is good to know. I have a landline with Rogers which will die if the power goes out. I always charge my cell phone at bedtime. As they say in the NY State lottery ads "Hey Ya Never Know"

 

September 5, 2021 8:36 pm  #13


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

mace wrote:

That is good to know. I have a landline with Rogers which will die if the power goes out. I always charge my cell phone at bedtime. As they say in the NY State lottery ads "Hey Ya Never Know"

When I first switched from Bell to Rogers for landline service they promised me my phone would work in a power outage for 6 hours.
That has never been the case. It just automatically goes to voicemail when people call. 
Rogers recently said it's not the modem causing the problem, but instead another problem in an outside source.
It was never fixed. 
 


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

 
 

September 5, 2021 8:37 pm  #14


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

Wow!!!...  384 kbits/s symetrical...   do I ever feel old... guess its time to chuck my 54 mbps SCSI drives for the 'ol Avid....    https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/silly.png



 

Last edited by Glen Warren (September 6, 2021 3:43 am)

 

September 9, 2021 10:03 am  #15


Re: The End Of ISDN Lines

RadioActive wrote:

mic'em wrote:

I am having an issue with Rogers billing . My latest invoice has two charges from a Triton Global third party that I made two calls thru their system to US based numbers totaling 90.00$ for 3 minutes of time. Obviously these calls were not from my landline although Rogers is adamant they are and are refusing to credit me. I have to assume some sort of hack was committed . Would anyone here have any information regarding Triton Global and how this hack of my number is possible to be performed ? A search of Triton Global shows hundreds of similar complaints against them . The Rogers rep refused to even acknowledge the name which tells me they are well aware of it.  I plan to go to small claims court if it comes to it. Thanks. 

Try this first.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

It's the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-Telephone Services (CCTS), a government-required agency that deals with consumer gripes against the Big 3. Not saying they'll be able to resolve your issue but if you have proof, they may help you avoid court. And you can submit your complaint online. 

Thank you Ra,I just saw this. I will look into what they may be able to help me with. https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/smile.png