sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2021 2:12 pm  #1

CHUM-FM Awards Biggest Contest Prize In Station History

It's a two-bedroom fully furnished condo at the Friday Harbour Resort in Innisfil, worth an estimated $725,000. The winner was a woman from Stoney Creek. The station says the prize attracted the most visits to its website since it went online. You can hear the moment here where the winner reveals she's currently on vacation in Mexico! 

CHUM 104.5 Announce Winner of the Radio Station's Biggest Prize Ever

August 5, 2021 2:52 pm  #2

Re: CHUM-FM Awards Biggest Contest Prize In Station History

Ive been following this and did play along once by texting the number.  Thats an awesome prize indeed especially in today's realty market and the location of the winning condo!

August 5, 2021 3:21 pm  #3

Great plan! Let 210 people go. Use the money to buy an expensive condo. Give it away to a CHUM FM listener. 
Ratings?

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 5, 2021 3:23 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 5, 2021 3:43 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

Great plan! Let 210 people go. Use the money to buy an expensive condo. Give it away to a CHUM FM listener. 
Ratings?

Never thought of that.....

August 5, 2021 3:47 pm  #5

I doubt they spent much, if anything. In most cases, the company provides the prize in exchange for a ton of free publicity, which beats buying advertising time. Friday Harbour likely got more free mentions than they would have otherwise, with a contest that ran for ages and plastered their name over every promo and plug. If Bell contributed any money to this thing, I'm willing to bet it wasn't full price!

August 5, 2021 7:22 pm  #6

What's the biggest prize in Toronto radio history? Anybody know?

August 5, 2021 8:37 pm  #7

I know CFTR bought the syndicated "The Last Contest" in its rock heyday. I think it was out of KFRC. They offered boats, planes, vacations, yachts, sportscars, you name it, stuff worth thousands and thousands of dollars.

The gimmick, of course, was all those amazing unheard-of prizes were promoed for months, but they only gave out the secret phone number twice in the entire contest. 

So they promised all this great stuff but never had to give any of it away. That was the brilliance of it. 

I remember one of the two winners foolishly picked a limo to pick up her and take her home from work for a year. She could have had a car or a world tour vacation. And that's what she chose!

August 5, 2021 8:45 pm  #8

I recall there used to be limits on how much prizewinners could get in Canadian radio contests. They were quite low. Doesn't anyone remember that?

Here's some more info on The Last Contest. The comments section offers more detail.

http://reelradio.com/ricky/lastcon.html#lastcon 

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 5, 2021 9:05 pm  #9

I recall there used to be limits on how much prizewinners could get in Canadian radio contests. They were quite low, like around $5,000 as late as the '70s. Doesn't anyone remember that?

Here's some more info on The Last Contest. The comments section offers more detail.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 5, 2021 9:16 pm  #10

Didn't some local radio station give away $1 million once? I can't quite recall who it was or how it was done, but if memory serves (and these days, it doesn't always) they understandably made a big deal about it. Or did I dream this?

August 5, 2021 9:19 pm  #11

Dale Patterson wrote:

I recall there used to be limits on how much prizewinners could get in Canadian radio contests. They were quite low. Doesn't anyone remember that?

You are right Dale, there were limitations but I am not sure what amount it was.  I know 1050 chum was giving away a car a week sometime in the early 70's in the summer and I think they gave away Corvettes or Camaros again back in the 70's, but I don't know if it was one or a bunch of them.  Doug Thompson would be the one to know about this and what the limits were.  I know that CHUM FM Break The Bank has offered $500,000 but I don't know if anyone has ever won this amount.  So the $725,000 condo is getting up there.

John Landecker mentioned in his book that this was something he liked about Canadian radio when he was at CFTR. The fact that stations couldn't buy off the audience during ratings.  He felt giving away big amounts of money just inflated ratings for certain stations during the survey period.  So I guess back in the early 80's some major market US stations must have been giving away a lot of big prizes or money.  But we did have maximum amounts here.  Now maybe now not so much. 

August 5, 2021 10:28 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

I doubt they spent much, if anything. In most cases, the company provides the prize in exchange for a ton of free publicity, which beats buying advertising time. Friday Harbour likely got more free mentions than they would have otherwise, with a contest that ran for ages and plastered their name over every promo and plug. If Bell contributed any money to this thing, I'm willing to bet it wasn't full price!

So then Rogers can do this too! CHFI? Over to you!! 

Or maybe Boom can do it...Stingray? Over to you! R.A. seems to think it won't cost all that much!!

Truth is, Bell was smart. They chose a time when properties everywhere are skyrocketing.
Now. maybe...just maybe to top all this, Bell or someone can pick a property here in Toronto and do it all again!!
(Thanks RA it's good to know it's so nice cheap and easy to do!!)

August 5, 2021 10:59 pm  #13

There was also this similar contest to CHUM's with KiSS 92.5 (in 2019):
https://contestsincanada.com/kiss-92-5-win-a-home-from-roz-mocha-sequoia-grove-homes-promotion-win-a-new-home-at-winahome-kiss925-com/

Last edited by Radio.Intern (August 5, 2021 11:00 pm)

August 6, 2021 1:54 am  #14

In the early to mid-nineties Chum FM did the I Want It All Contest.  I still remember the promo.  It was $10 000 here, $5 000 there, and free this or that for a year for just about everything under the sun and the station voice listed off prizes for a good 30 or 40 seconds over a snare drum.  At the end of the promo they claimed it was the largest prize package ever given to one person by a single Toronto radio station.

August 6, 2021 6:58 am  #15

I once won a copy of a book for correctly answering the CityPulse News Test question...

August 6, 2021 7:53 am  #16

Glen Warren wrote:

I once won a copy of a book for correctly answering the CityPulse News Test question...

AWWWWW! The Citypulse News test! I miss those days! 
Now more than ever would be a good time to bring it back, but knowing today's younger viewers (if they even watch)
it might be smarter to get us all to text our answer to City TV... 
Come on Rogers! Give away some Smart Phones & some Rogers service! lol

August 6, 2021 7:56 am  #17

I remember CFTR  having the "Last Contest" in the summer of 1972. The station planned to announce the secret telephone number at 8AM. I think they were going to accept the 68th or maybe the 680th caller. What I remember most was the 10 minutes of rules, instructions etc. that were calmly read by an authoritative sounding voice before the actual phone number was given out. What I don't remember is who won and the prize chosen.

August 6, 2021 8:23 am  #18

Didn't Bell (just a phone company then) complain that they blew out the phone lines when the number was given out? With prizes like yachts and sportscars on offer, I'm surprised anyone got through at all. 

Dale Patterson's excellent RockRadioScrapbook has some samples of CFTR's Last Concert promos (including a rare one from CHAM, at the time another Rogers station.) It starts around the 4:30 mark. You can hear it here.