sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2021 1:26 pm  #1

Kimberley Fowler Flies The Corus Traffic Copter Coop

She's been at The Canadian Traffic Network (and specifically on Q107, CFNY, GNR640 and Global News) for more than 15 years. But now Kimberley Fowler is flying away to Global's Morning Show in Regina as a reporter and part time anchor. 

CTN, as many here know, provides traffic reports to stations across the country, with 18 in Toronto alone - including CFRB, CHUM-FM, CFTR, CKFM, Boom 97.3, CKDX and even CJRT. (And yes, it's where valued SOWNY poster Jody Thornton calls home.) You can see the full affiliate list here. 

Greg Brady had the class to let her say a final farewell at the end of his 640 AM drive show on Friday, noting it was nice she was "staying in the family." It was clear she was torn leaving Canada's major market, relating she was almost in tears when she delivered her final eye in the sky report for Q107 Friday. But she added that she couldn't turn down the opportunity.

One thing's certain - she'll be a lot more 'grounded' in her new job than she was in her old one!

July 30, 2021 3:51 pm  #2

Re: Kimberley Fowler Flies The Corus Traffic Copter Coop

For those who might be interested, radiohistorian.org has an article entitled "The Rise and Fall of the Radio Traffic Report"

July 30, 2021 4:16 pm  #3

mace wrote:

For those who might be interested, radiohistorian.org has an article entitled "The Rise and Fall of the Radio Traffic Report"

Thanks mace, it was a very interesting read:

Radio Traffic Reporting (theradiohistorian.org)

Last edited by Media Observer (July 30, 2021 4:18 pm)

July 30, 2021 5:30 pm  #4

Here are a few local bits of chopper traffic history. 

In the first one from 1960, CFRB and Eddie Luther became the first eye in the sky on Toronto roads. And what a bargain - rent a chopper for just $95 an hour!

By May 1968, there were worries that too many choppers were creating an ironic kind of traffic jam in the sky. 

Fly ahead to 1976, and by now every radio listener has come to expect the overflight overview. But some, like CHUM News Director Dick Smyth, refuse to play the game any longer and explains why they grounded frequent flyers like Hartley Hubbs and Ian Brownlee (who would wind up as a newscaster at CKEY.)

July 31, 2021 7:37 am  #5

I always remember Henry Shannon's standard phrase "Stop and Go to slow approaching Southdown Road... Bunching up at Hwy 10"

July 31, 2021 6:40 pm  #6

$95 in 1960 works out to about $850 today.  
So honestly, probably about the same for the entire day.  (2 x 4 hour shifts)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 3, 2021 12:48 pm  #7

Shortly after I started working at CFTR in 1971 I arranged a ride with Eddie to photograph various parts of the city for him.  I assumed I'd be meeting him at either Buttonville or Island airports but was surprised when he told me to meet him at the SW corner of Duffern and Wilson at 08:30.  I discoverd when I got there a vacant field.  Sure enough, at 8:30 Eddie arrived and touched down much to the amazement of the rush hour commuters.  I hopped in and sat while he went across the street to buy coffees for us.  Apparently he stopped there quite frequently to pick up a coffee and a sandwich.  Not something you'd see nowadays.  He was the sweetest man!

August 3, 2021 6:27 pm  #8

At some point CFRB switched to a Bell Jet Ranger, and identified it as the "CFRB Jet Ranger". Legend has it that Eddie had to make a forced landing when it was snowing because snow got sucked into the intake. The Jet Ranger was originally developed by Bell as an army helicopter for Vietnam, not the rigors of the Canadian winter. They later lost the contract for more production, and came up with the civilian version that continues to this day.
Because of the expense of leasing (and insuring) the helicopter, they ultimately switched to a Piper Twin Comanche, (call sign C-FRBR) which was a low wing aircraft that had to be banked at 45 degrees to see the traffic below. I was on board for a weekend cottage traffic run when my friend lost his supper. Fortunately they had air sickness bags for the passengers.

Last edited by Skywave (August 3, 2021 6:28 pm)

August 4, 2021 1:01 am  #9

grilled.cheese wrote:

Citypulse News 15 wrote:

Shortly after I started working at CFTR in 1971 I arranged a ride with Eddie to photograph various parts of the city for him. I assumed I'd be meeting him at either Buttonville or Island airports but was surprised when he told me to meet him at the SW corner of Duffern and Wilson at 08:30. I discoverd when I got there a vacant field. Sure enough, at 8:30 Eddie arrived and touched down much to the amazement of the rush hour commuters. I hopped in and sat while he went across the street to buy coffees for us. Apparently he stopped there quite frequently to pick up a coffee and a sandwich. Not something you'd see nowadays. He was the sweetest man!

That's my neck of the woods.SE corner had the fields.  SW was fully developed in 1971

That's correct GC.  I knew that, it just came out as SW.  He used to cross over to the west side.  There was a restaurant there in a small strip plaza.  Its name has escaped me.

August 10, 2021 10:09 am  #10

This one's for Jody Thornton:

August 10, 2021 11:44 am  #11

Don't know about the picnic table incident, but yes, there was a pink chopper that flew the female cadre of the CKEY traffic department. They were so big on traffic in the air, it was actually featured on their stationery.

They even went so far as to take out full page ads publicizing their traffic reports, although by this time Dianne Pepper was in the helicopter and not Dini Petty. Notice the reference to the "pink piston chopper." Bob Rice's was orange. I wonder how that would go over in more modern times?

August 10, 2021 12:15 pm  #12

word association: if you're of a certain vintage, one can't help but think of turkeys when it comes to radio stations and helicopters

August 10, 2021 1:35 pm  #13

betaylored wrote:

word association: if you're of a certain vintage, one can't help but think of turkeys when it comes to radio stations and helicopters

As God is my witness, I thought _____________could _____.  : )) .. 

Last edited by g121 (August 10, 2021 1:36 pm)

August 10, 2021 1:38 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

This is going on my Facebook :D

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

August 10, 2021 2:53 pm  #15

betaylored wrote:

August 10, 2021 2:54 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

Another RA classic!

August 10, 2021 3:08 pm  #17

Media Observer wrote:

Another RA classic!

Yes it was.  I was saddened there was not more love for my RA faux movie trailer, mocking his devious airplane adventures in another thread ....lol

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

August 10, 2021 4:30 pm  #18

While I appreciate the kudos, I have to be honest - it wasn't mine. I recycled it - because "stole" is such a vulgar word - from the Facebook page of a friend of mine, a former DJ who worked for both WGAR Cleveland and WNBC New York.

Who he stole it - er, recycled it - from I have no idea! But it was too good not to use. 

August 10, 2021 7:28 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

While I appreciate the kudos, I have to be honest - it wasn't mine. I recycled it - because "stole" is such a vulgar word - from the Facebook page of a friend of mine, a former DJ who worked for both WGAR Cleveland and WNBC New York.

Who he stole it - er, recycled it - from I have no idea! But it was too good not to use. 

"good artists borrow, great artists steal" and all that.

I most definitely enjoyed your post nasal quip RA.

And tangentially, it was swell to hear Mr. Thornton helming the traffic reports on "Moore In The Morning" first thing yesterday morning.

August 10, 2021 8:09 pm  #20

Interestingly, I also heard Mr. Thornton on CKTB - at the exact same time he was on 'RB! Clearly one or both were pre-recorded, but he sounded great on each of them!

August 11, 2021 1:40 pm  #21

Bentwater wrote:

Does anyone recall, Dini Petty fly or flew in a pink helicopter for CKEY?  I heard there was an incident where the copter landed on a picnic table during the winter and it didn't go well from then.

The picnic table incident happened with the TR helicopter.  Jerry Herbert did the traffic reports while being flown by a pilot.  It was winter and apparently the pilot tried to lift a picnic table with one of the skids.  Unfortunately the table was frozen to the ground and when he applied more power to the one side, the table broke free and he couldn't recover fast enough.  Jerry's back was never the same.