sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2021 9:14 am  #1

One of TV's First Advertisers, Calls For A Ban of Cigarettes

One of the first advertisers on television, cigarette manufacturer, Philip Morris is calling for a ban on cigarettes in the UK.  Philip Morris for years was the sponsor of I Love Lucy and a major advertiser of network television and radio programs. One of the most recognized advertising campaigns was "The Marlboro Man".  The CEO of Philip Morris International has called for banning cigarette sales in the UK by 2030.   More in this article from BBC...
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57964253

July 26, 2021 9:18 am  #2

Re: One of TV's First Advertisers, Calls For A Ban of Cigarettes

Possibly the ultimate idiotic pitch for cigarettes - in a cartoon aimed at kids. Apparently, no one ever thought that maybe this wasn't an appropriate sponsor. 

July 26, 2021 11:57 am  #3

Actually, Winston sponsored  The Flinstones for only the first two seasons. In the third season, when it was decided that Wilma would become pregnant, and have a daughter [girl dolls sell better than boy dolls apparently] Welch's Grape Juice replaced the cigarette brand as primary sponsor.

July 26, 2021 12:09 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Possibly the ultimate idiotic pitch for cigarettes - in a cartoon aimed at kids. Apparently, no one ever thought that maybe this wasn't an appropriate sponsor. 

Not to be a contrarian, but Hanna-Barberra very deliberately created the show skewing it toward an adult audience.  

Here's the original "Rise and Shine" opening theme to the show with sponsor:

Last edited by Peter the K (July 26, 2021 12:10 pm)

July 26, 2021 12:16 pm  #5

It is correct that Phillip Morris was the original sponsor of I Love Lucy. It was Hanna/Barbera who created the cartoon versions of Lucy and Ricky who climbed up and down the cigarette package during the opening credits. The closing credits always rolled over a package of the sponsor's product. In later years, this would include Maxwell House coffee and Cheer Laundry Detergent. Because of this, the opening and closing credits were redone with the heart when the series finished production and went to the CBS daytime schedule and later to local stations. I have seen the opening credits of the series premiere on youtube as well as some of the closing credits featuring Cheer detergent.

July 26, 2021 2:46 pm  #6

Most Series of that era were sponsored and some even had rather blatant product placement.  Anyone remember the rather ubiquitous Carnation milk and the Burns and Allen show?  How about Kellogs Cornflakes on the Beverly Hillbillies?  The cereal was for the youngn's.  The adults smoked winstons.

Plenty of them on Youtube, but here's my favourite.

Last edited by Peter the K (July 26, 2021 2:46 pm)

July 26, 2021 2:51 pm  #7

If you watch those old "sponsored by" shows from the 50s, they used to work the commercials into the actual program. In the case of Burns & Allen, it would be part of the script and the comedy would continue even as the shilling was happening. 

I know it would never happen today because there are very few "brought to you by" shows anymore, but I often wonder if they tried that technique now, would it keep viewers with itchy fingers on their remote controls or DVRs from tuning out the spots? 

It could be worth a try, although it does create problems when it comes to syndication and reruns, when the spots had to be cut out. But I know if they made it part of the program somehow, I wouldn't be as anxious to be flipping or skipping the commercials. 

July 26, 2021 3:07 pm  #8

In the case of the Beverly Hillbillies, I'm guessing that they built the opening and closing with syndication in mind.  The closing has pictures of cereal boxes in the frame.  Those don't exist in the syndication prints we see today.  They weren't blocked out, they just don't exist so the credits must have been optically printed twice.

There are several scenes where Jethro grabs Himself a "Jethro-sized" bowl of cornflakes then carefully sets the box down with the box facing the camera.  Those scenes still existed in the syndication version.

Of course, in the case of milk and cereal, leaving that in is acceptable, but if Jed conspicuously fired up a Winston in one of the scenes, I suspect the scissors would come out.

Last edited by Peter the K (July 26, 2021 3:08 pm)

July 26, 2021 3:08 pm  #9

I have seen some of those Burns & Allen episodes with the Carnation Evaporated Milk [from contented cows] dialogue. Some of those "conversations" would last five or six minutes.

July 26, 2021 4:57 pm  #10

Yes, but if it was dialogue between Gracie and say, Harry von Zell, you didn't mind the five or six minutes, because most of it was hilarious. 

Burns & Allen still gets shown on Antenna TV (channel 2.2 in Buffalo) and it remains my all time favourite TV show - especially the later years when George used his "magic TV set" in the den to not only watch his own program in progress and comment on everything from the plot to the acting but would occasionally even turn the channel to see what else was on. It was always a western, a less than subtle nod to the fact TV was Western crazy back in the 50s. 

Then there's the episode where the actor playing the neighbour left and they introduced the new guy in the same role by stopping the action and talking to him briefly about his career. To this day, I've never seen anything quite like it on TV.  

It occurs around the 8:41 mark in the video below. 

July 26, 2021 7:05 pm  #11

Something I did not know. In its first two seasons, Burns & Allen aired every second Thursday at 8pm. It shared the timeslot with something called Starlight Theatre in 1950-51 and Garry Moore in 1951-52.

July 26, 2021 10:37 pm  #12

What a classy way to introduce a new actor.  People are smart enough to know actors move on to different projects so it just seems best to deal with the issue head on, explain what happened, do some kind of introduction and then get on with it with no unanswered questions.

If only the producers of Bewitched had done something similar when Dick Sargent replaced Dick York.

July 26, 2021 10:48 pm  #13

That's the thing about B&A. It was, to my knowledge, the first TV show in history to acknowledge that it was a TV show. Ironically, it was about George and Gracie supposedly putting on a real television show, which we never saw. The only thing similar was Green Acres, where characters saw the credits and commented on the "wavy effect" before a flashback or read the occasional subtitles.  

There's one episode where George & Gracie are supposed to be staying at a hotel in New York. It's snowing like crazy outside, but George opens the door to the balcony, looks up in the sky, and yells, "Sidney! Stop the snow! I need to come out and do my monologue."

The snow immediately stops, George does his bit for the camera, then heads inside, while looking up and yelling, "OK, Sidney!" At which points it immediately starts snowing again.

What other show would dare try that? I know "It's Garry Shandling's Show" tried breaking the fourth wall many decades later, but it wasn't nearly the same. This show made an art of it and it always makes me laugh. Every season is available on YouTube, but you should start with the filmed ones. The live kinescopes aren't the best quality, were interrupted by musical numbers and until they put it on film, it wasn't the same show.