sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2021 3:14 pm  #1

CHL scores broadcast partnerships with TSN and CBC

July 21, 2021 7:41 pm  #2

Re: CHL scores broadcast partnerships with TSN and CBC

This is great news. Junior hockey is excellent quality and quite affordable as well. I get to one Oshawa Generals game each year. Tickets run about $20 and the arena is generally close to capacity. I think the situation would be similar in most of the  junior hockey markets around Ontario.

July 21, 2021 8:31 pm  #3

Agreed mace, this is a good thing.  The Rangers in Kitchener (the team is owned by the city) sells out every game.  Quality of play is first rate and usually without much fighting. They have a good rivalry with London, Windsor and Guelph.   It will be great to see the games on TSN and CBC.  I saw the Kitchener Rangers win the Memorial Cup in Quebec City back in 2003.  What a great time, and party!  

July 21, 2021 11:04 pm  #4

I wonder if this will have any impact on Rogers broadcasting OHL hockey in markets like London and Ottawa on its community cable channels.

Where I live we don’t even have such a channel. I have yet to see a WHL game on TV since I’ve lived out west.

July 21, 2021 11:22 pm  #5

MJ Vancouver wrote:

I wonder if this will have any impact on Rogers broadcasting OHL hockey in markets like London and Ottawa on its community cable channels.

Where I live we don’t even have such a channel. I have yet to see a WHL game on TV since I’ve lived out west.

The Rogers Cable deal remains in place with the OHL.

July 22, 2021 6:46 am  #6

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Rogers got rid of their community channel in Toronto several years ago. Ch 10 is now used as a free preview channel.

July 22, 2021 7:27 am  #7

In my teens, we loved going down to the Gardens to watch the Marlies.   Have a peek at the super stacked roster!  Of course, being teen "foodies", we chowed down at the Harvey Wallbanger's next door : ))

1974-75 Toronto Marlboros Statistics Ontario Hockey Association (OHA)
Team Record: 48-13-9 - 105 points
Coach: George Armstrong (48-13-9) 

July 22, 2021 9:19 am  #8

mace wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Rogers got rid of their community channel in Toronto several years ago. Ch 10 is now used as a free preview channel.

That's odd, we still have our Rogers Community Channel in Waterloo Region.  They program every day from 6am to 12midnight.  And they did carry all of the Rangers and Guelph Storm home games.  Rogers even had advertising during the games.  Apparently they are allowed to sell sponsorships for this type of programming.   The Rogers Cable hockey broadcasts here are very well done, good hosts and all of their programming for the last 8 or 9 years has been in HD.  They were years ahead of CTV Kitchener with local HD programming. 

July 22, 2021 10:00 am  #9

paterson1 wrote:

That's odd, we still have our Rogers Community Channel in Waterloo Region

They were allowed to re-direct money from Community Channels to conventional local channels in markets where they had both. So Toronto's channel 10 money went to CITY.

July 22, 2021 3:08 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

mace wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

That's odd, we still have our Rogers Community Channel in Waterloo Region.  They program every day from 6am to 12midnight.  And they did carry all of the Rangers and Guelph Storm home games.  Rogers even had advertising during the games.  Apparently they are allowed to sell sponsorships for this type of programming.   The Rogers Cable hockey broadcasts here are very well done, good hosts and all of their programming for the last 8 or 9 years has been in HD.  They were years ahead of CTV Kitchener with local HD programming. 

Rogers Oshawa (Durham Region) still provides a Community 10 Channel;  with the usual volunteer hosts, coverage of the various local City/Town Council meetings etc.

Last edited by Media Observer (July 22, 2021 3:10 pm)

July 23, 2021 6:55 am  #11

g121 wrote:

In my teens, we loved going down to the Gardens to watch the Marlies.   Have a peek at the super stacked roster!  Of course, being teen "foodies", we chowed down at the Harvey Wallbanger's next door : ))

1974-75 Toronto Marlboros Statistics Ontario Hockey Association (OHA)
Team Record: 48-13-9 - 105 points
Coach: George Armstrong (48-13-9) 

That was an impressive team. This lineup would bring the Marlboros their seventh and final Memorial Cup Championship. After a short stay in Hamilton [1989-91] the franchise now calls Guelph home as the Storm.