sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2021 9:07 pm  #1

Where Were You Exactly 52 Years Ago Tuesday When This Happened?

I'm betting most of us old enough to remember were watching this incredible moment on TV - probably with Walter Cronkite anchoring.

And of course, someone had to sponsor it. 

July 20, 2021 9:18 pm  #2

Re: Where Were You Exactly 52 Years Ago Tuesday When This Happened?

I was working the evening shift at McDonald's at Bathurst and Steeles. (We were just the second McDonalds in Toronto having just opened a month earlier). Business was dead that evening. The manager wanted some people to go home early to save money. I volunteered and got home just in time to see them walking on the moon.

July 20, 2021 9:46 pm  #3

I had set the alarm to get up in the middle of the night to watch. Of course, I couldn't sleep so I got back up. That was back when my wife and I were fist married. We were dirt poor then. Our TV was an Emerson 12" B & W.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 20, 2021 10:11 pm  #4

Watched it on a black-and-white TV at my parent's place in Etobicoke.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 20, 2021 10:18 pm  #5

Here's a memory, thousands of people watching a giant screen at Nathan Phillips Square in Toronto.  Not everyone was watching Walter.  Looks like at city hall they had CFTO/CTV with the great Harvey Kirk on for all to see.  Hope this memorable image comes out alright...I remember watching on our old Emerson TV, and I remember flipping around the dial a bit, but as a family we stuck with Harvey and CTV. 

Last edited by paterson1 (July 20, 2021 10:22 pm)

July 20, 2021 10:27 pm  #6

Unborn. But if you like NASA and the space race, Apple+ has a great series based on the premise that Russia was first to put a man on the moon. Really authentic period piece. Called “For All Mankind.”

July 20, 2021 10:38 pm  #7

VOA sent me a nice wall poster to illustrate the moon landing. I had nowhere to post it, in our tiny apartment I wish I had kept it though.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 21, 2021 7:44 am  #8

It is amazing the things that get seared into your memory forever. That Sunday night my parents decided to venture out of the box on the family charcoal bbq by roasting a chicken instead of the usual burgers and hot dogs. It did not go well.  As for the moon landing, there was some tropo reception coming in on our 21" Phillips console. There was reception on every VHF channel. 3 and 5 from Syracuse [snowy but watchable] 8,10, 13 from Rochester and 12 from Erie [all fuzzy but very watchable] The exact same picture on every channel! We decided to go with Uncle Walter on ch 4.

July 21, 2021 7:49 am  #9

Interesting background on test patterms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian-head_test_pattern

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 21, 2021 7:56 am  #10

We were at a cottage on Lake Simcoe.  My dad managed to rent a TV for the week.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

July 21, 2021 8:20 am  #11

I was in a television studio amazed not only at the huge accomplishment but that we were seeing live colour pictures from the surface of the moon. We weren't even getting colour pictures out of our studio at the time (it was a few months later the colour cameras arrived).

July 21, 2021 8:34 am  #12

With 4 of my college friends listening to WPTR Albany on the way home to Montreal from the Bryar Park NH Trans Am race, we heard the countdown to Neil Armstrong's walk. We stopped at a Champlain NY bar.   A bunch of Canuck teenagers partying with the locals. Definitely a night to remember.

July 21, 2021 7:28 pm  #13

Capricorn One.  Loved that movie.

grilled.cheese wrote:

Faked news.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

July 21, 2021 11:05 pm  #14

I was not yet born, but my mom watched it during her overnight shift working at a hospital in Ottawa.