sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2021 9:53 am  #1

20 TV Shows You Won't Believe Existed

I remember most of these, although I actually liked Cop Rock & The Patty Duke Show. Whatever that says about me. 

TV Line: 20 TV Shows We Can't Believe Existed

July 18, 2021 3:24 pm  #2

Re: 20 TV Shows You Won't Believe Existed

Until now I have never heard anyone admit that they liked Cop Rock. Personally, I loved Herman's Head. Incredibly demented show. Especially, the Animal character who represents Herman's lust, hunger and thirst and is only interested in sex, food and beer.

July 18, 2021 4:05 pm  #3

Oddly, I really liked the story lines in Cop Rock, which was a Stephen Bochco production. (Hill St. Blues, L.A. Law etc,, so you expected it to be good.) If only those damn musical production numbers didn't keep interrupting everything, it would have been an even better show!

Cop Rock Was A Bad Idea 30 Years Ago And Feels Like An Even Worse Idea Now

July 18, 2021 9:02 pm  #4

The only one I remember was My Mother the Car. I don't believe I ever saw it. Only heard of it. We lived in an area where there was only one channel and they didn't carry that show.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 18, 2021 9:12 pm  #5

It was every bit as terrible as it sounds, although it had a great theme song. 

July 18, 2021 11:29 pm  #6

I know it's a U.S. centric article (as most articles from the U.S. tend to be) but if you're going to be true to the whole premise you simply have to include "Heil Honey, I'm Home" which was discussed here in the past.

But anyway, I personally rather enjoyed Herman's Head, Shit my dad says, Whoops!, and even Caveman.

Why?

Because they were actually clever ideas and employed some out of the box thinking.  I'd even put "Heil" on the list because it broke through some taboos.  Now I didn't say in any of those shows, they did it well, but it's comedy for crying out loud.  I'm waiting for the woke contingent to start slamming Hogan's Heroes because it's insensitive to those who were affected by WWII.

Give me a bloody break.

July 19, 2021 9:18 am  #7

mace wrote:

Personally, I loved Herman's Head. Incredibly demented show. Especially, the Animal character who represents Herman's lust, hunger and thirst and is only interested in sex, food and beer.

Herman's Head must have done just well enough to get the attention of cartoon creators.
Years later a cartoon movie came along called Inside Out: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2096673/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 19, 2021 10:19 am  #8

I remember Small Wonder. 
Very funny show. The father did everything necessary to hide the idea that Viki is a machine.
Even made his own son dress up like Viki for a Doctor's physical... A little far fetched. You'd think the doctor would know the difference between a boy or a girl...ah, but he's too eager to get to a golf course to care!
The writers were very smart and creative on this one...

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 19, 2021 10:20 am)

July 19, 2021 3:16 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

mace wrote:

Personally, I loved Herman's Head. Incredibly demented show. Especially, the Animal character who represents Herman's lust, hunger and thirst and is only interested in sex, food and beer.

Herman's Head must have done just well enough to get the attention of cartoon creators.
Years later a cartoon movie came along called Inside Out: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2096673/

Um actually, Disney may be in some hot water over this whole "inside the head" idea: 
  https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadians-inside-out-copyright-lawsuit-proceeds-against-disney-and-pixar

July 20, 2021 8:01 am  #10

Small wonder must have been a huge hit!! It got picked up...other places.

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 20, 2021 8:02 am)

July 20, 2021 1:58 pm  #11

SCTV had a hilarious sendup of My mother the car.  It was the episode where the SCTV satellite crashes into a Soviet one, and begins broadcasting Soviet TV shows over SCTV.  On show was Tibor's Tracter, about a Russian farmer whose tractor is taken over by the spirit of Trotsky.

One show that did not need a hilarious sendup, "Manimal."  This show was so low budget they had to reuse footage of the hero transforming into a hawk or a panther because that's all the money they had.

One show not mentioned here... but terrible... "Airwolf."
It was a TV series based on a movie with Jan Michael Vincent (who?) about a super jet helicopter.

The TV show was so low budget they had to reuse shots of the helicopter from the movie, and had no-name actors. I think it only lasted a season like Manimal."

The sad end to the British TV classic "The Avengers" long before Marvel stole that name.
"The New Avengers" was shot in Toronto, Patrick McNee's character John Steed was reduced to a pre-taped segment per episode.  The budget and filming was cheap and chintzy.  One good thing about it.  It co-starred Joanna Lumley who is always "Absolutely Fabulous."

July 20, 2021 2:31 pm  #12

Airwolf was a great show.  total knockoff Blue Thunder.... which i think you're thinking of, only lasted 11 episodes, whereas Airwolf was on for 4 years.  I forgot about Manimal lol.  Sledge Hammer anyone?

Be prepared for the newest entry on the list, Netflix'Sexy Beasts coming this week to a recycle bin near you.

July 20, 2021 5:21 pm  #13

I agree totally with the assessment of Purdey aka Joanna Lumley. An extremely pulchritudinous woman.