sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 15, 2021 10:14 am  #1

Toronto Radio TV Commercials Of The 1980s & 1990s

This has been on YouTube for about a year, but somehow I didn't catch up to it until now. And what a great piece it is - vintage radio spots that aired on TV in the 80s and 90s. I remember some of them - like the Herb Tarlek commercial for CHFI, the "It's All You Need To Put On" naked campaign for CHUM-FM, and the CJCL Talking Heart spot that I only recall not because it was especially good but because it ran non-stop for months on nearly every TV station and there was no way to avoid it. 

But there are a lot of others, including CFRB, Q107, CFNY, CHUM-AM, CBC and a great bit starring Tom Rivers and Mike Cooper for CFTR (that one's around the 6:10 mark.) I have no memory of CFGM ever advertising, but there they are. The same with CHAY in Barrie. 

This is another great Retrontario contribution and it's a great look back at the slogans and the people who are no longer on the air - but can't quite be forgotten. If you've got 13 minutes, it's well worth a look. If only to remember a time when radio stations actually advertised on a competing medium. I can't remember the last time I saw one of these on TV.

July 15, 2021 2:25 pm  #2

Re: Toronto Radio TV Commercials Of The 1980s & 1990s

I think the CHUM-FM Roger, Rick & Marilyn spots and the CHFI Erin Davis/Don Daynard commercials were probably about the most memorable. I remember an interview with Rick Hodge (I think it was with Toronto Mike) where he mentioned that people still asked if he was the Rick in Roger, Rick & Marilyn, even many years after he left the show. He pointed to just how effective that branding had worked.

That CHUM-FM spot with the Ally McBeal-like dancing babies always kind of creeped me out, though... 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

July 16, 2021 8:29 am  #3

In Seattle, some of the FM's advertise on KING/KIRO/KOMO/KCPQ. I have seen ads for "STAR101.5" [KPLZ] and "MOVIN92.5" [KQMV]   I can't remember the last time I saw a radio ad on television in the GTA. Lots of them on billboards, bus shelters and TTC vehicles.

July 16, 2021 8:51 am  #4

mace wrote:

I can't remember the last time I saw a radio ad on television in the GTA   

CTV Toronto is running ads for 104.5 CHUM FM's Win a Friday Harbor condo promotion; grand prize is reportedly in tornado alley  

July 16, 2021 9:16 am  #5

geo wrote:

mace wrote:

I can't remember the last time I saw a radio ad on television in the GTA   

CTV Toronto is running ads for 104.5 CHUM FM's Win a Friday Harbor condo promotion; grand prize is reportedly in tornado alley  

There are lots of Toronto radio ads on TV.  As mentioned CHUM FM is always on CTV Toronto and CP24, along with 99.9 Virgin radio ads.  Q107 shows up on Global all the time (Corus) and oddly on CBC.   CHFI and 680 News have ad campaigns on City tv and CBC usually a couple of times per year.  CFRB had a campaign last fall on TV.  CBC Metro Morning advertised their new morning host last fall/winter.  Here in Kitchener the local Bell stations are on CTV Kitchener all the time with ads for Virgin and Bounce.  CHCH in Hamilton runs ads for Jewel 92 and now LITE 92.1, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bounce Hamilton is on CHCH as well since they regularly ran ads for Sunni and Hayes when the station was K-Lite.  Ads for Pure Country show up on CHCH and CTV London.

Last edited by paterson1 (July 16, 2021 9:18 am)