sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2021 1:03 pm  #1

New Podcast Revisits How TV News Covered Its Biggest Stories

Brian Williams of NBC.

Aaron Brown of CNN.

Bill Kurtis of CBS.

Not to mention "Uncle" Walter Cronkite. 

Those are just some of the names involved with or having their legends revitalized in a new 12-part podcast that debuts July 20th. The series talks to those behind-the-scenes in the newsrooms, from famous anchors to lesser-known producers, about how they handled huge news stories, ranging from Sept. 11th and the JFK assassination to the Apollo 11 moon landing. 

One of my favourite revelations so far - there was supposed to be an extravagant lunar landing TV special back in 1969. But it never made it to air. 

"NBC had prepared a space-themed entertainment special — with renditions of songs like “Moon Over Miami” — for the expected delay between the astronauts landing and Armstrong's moonwalk, but it was scrapped when he and Buzz Aldrin left the landing craft more quickly than expected."

I'm not a huge podcast listener, but this is one I will definitely seek out.

Podcast revisits how the biggest stories unfolded on TV news

July 10, 2021 11:36 am  #2

Re: New Podcast Revisits How TV News Covered Its Biggest Stories

I remember Aaron Brown’s coverage on 9/11, and also Anderson Cooper in the middle of Hurricane Katrina.

Another name that may not have been as well known was the late Tom Mintier. He was anchoring live on CNN when the Challenger blew up. He remained with CNN for many years after that, though mostly based overseas, and he died only 5 years ago.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (July 10, 2021 11:37 am)

October 20, 2021 1:47 pm  #3

I'd actually somewhat forgotten about this, until I came across it on Wednesday. An entire season's worth of shows is online. Among the stories covered in the podcast - the Kennedy Assassination, the D-Day Invasion, the death of Princess Diana, the attempted assassination of Pres. Reagan, women winning the right to vote, the Nat Turner Slave Rebellion of 1831, the 911 attacks and of course the Hindenburg Disaster. 

Those familiar with that last story will recall WLS announcer Herbert Morrison's famous report that ends with "oh the humanity!" a line that was echoed in a classic version of the turkey drop on WKRP in Cincinatti decades later. 

A second season of "We Interrupt This Broadcast," which uses the tagline "Before it was history, it was news," is on its way thus month, but if you'd like to hear any you missed from season one, they're all online here, hosted by Bill Kurtis. 

‘We Interrupt This Broadcast’ With Host Bill Kurtis And Narrator Brian Williams Teases Season Two With New Episode

I can't recall if I was home or at school the day Kennedy was shot. I was probably in Grade 1 so I'm pretty sure that's where I was. But my mother always watched "As The World Turns" every day, and I can't help but wonder if she saw the now iconic clip below as it unfolded live on the air. (It's telling how far the technology has come that Walter Cronkite has to show a still black and white picture ("can you zoom in on this?") on the air. 

October 20, 2021 4:31 pm  #4

Black screen  :...content blocked...in your country"

October 20, 2021 4:52 pm  #5

Well, we know how Brian Williams (NBC) covered the news....   he embellished the truth!!!

He proved to be better suited as a writer of fiction, than as a network news anchor....

October 20, 2021 5:01 pm  #6

Media Observer wrote:

Black screen  :...content blocked...in your country"

I'm sorry about that. Turns out the YouTube video is geoblocked but the podcast isn't. I must have looked at it with my VPN on. 

The podcast is still interesting if you're VPN-less (If that's a word.)

October 20, 2021 5:17 pm  #7

No worries...a lot of stuff is blocked by the "provider".    I don't have a VPN but based on what I read here,  maybe it's time.

October 20, 2021 5:19 pm  #8

Glen Warren wrote:

Well, we know how Brian Williams (NBC) covered the news....   he embellished the truth!!!

He proved to be better suited as a writer of fiction, 👍👍 than as a network news anchor....

Excuse me GW,  but he did not embellish he "conflated"...LOL!

Last edited by Media Observer (October 20, 2021 5:21 pm)

October 20, 2021 5:31 pm  #9

I think he just experienced it differently.

October 20, 2021 6:52 pm  #10

Media Observer wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

He proved to be better suited as a writer of fiction, 👍👍 than as a network news anchor....

hmmm .. you guys are just a bit jealous ..

October 20, 2021 7:18 pm  #11

g121 wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

hmmm .. you guys are just a bit jealous ..

I’ve heard he reported from the crucifixion of Jesus and was also present for the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

October 20, 2021 7:41 pm  #12

RA: The complete Nov 22, 1963 episode of As The World Turns [with commercials and network promos] is available in the soap opera section of Uncle Earl's Classic TV Channel. The first two interruptions featured only the audio of Walter Cronkite with CBS Bulletin appearing on the screen.

October 20, 2021 8:24 pm  #13

Thanks Mace. As it turns out, YouTube is filled with the footage in question - although it's much longer than the one above. Here's one that should work in Canada.

October 21, 2021 8:37 am  #14

The reason why you only see CBS announcing the Kennedy shooting is because it was the only one of the three networks on the air at 1:30pm in the Fall of 1963. NBC had no programming then from 1-2pm and ABC had none from 1:30-2:30pm.

October 21, 2021 9:21 am  #15

Interesting stuff and I would tend to agree with the conclusion - it was the event that took TV news out of its infancy and into a new era in coverage.

How John F. Kennedy's Assassination Changed Television Forever