sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2021 5:08 am  #1

WLKK flips formats. AGAIN.

Per RadioInsight.com(who had the news first), WLKK/107.7(and a 104.7 translator)has ended their seven year stint as Alt Buffalo, switching to country as 107.7 and 104.7 The Wolf at 5pm yesterday(6/30). They're starting with 5,000 songs commercial free; further details on their on-air programming to come.

I'm sure their 1.0 rating in the latest ratings had NOTHING at all to do with this.... 

July 1, 2021 9:25 am  #2

Re: WLKK flips formats. AGAIN.

This station has a bizarre history. Its signal doesn't quite reach into the GTA very often, but even if it did, you could never be sure of the format - or even the call letters!

Over the years, it's been WUWU, WBYR, WBMW, WEZQ, WNUC, WNSA, WLKK, WBEN-AM, and back to WLKK. What will it be called next week? 

The formats have ranged from Christian (when it was owned by the 700 Club's Pat Robertson,) New Wave, Jazz, Classic Rock, Beautiful Music, New Country, Sports, Adult Album Alternative, WBEN-AM's simulcast, an HD only entity, Alternative Rock and now Hot Country. 

Whew! I'd hate to work there. Although given the endless changes, you wouldn't have to worry about that for long.   

July 1, 2021 10:01 am  #3

So WLKK has decided to improve their 1.0 share by going up against market leader WYRK who have only been doing the Country thing for close to 40 years. Good luck with that!

July 1, 2021 10:10 am  #4

Audacy, which owns the place, has never really had any idea what to do with it. I believe I've read it puts a signal into both Buffalo and Rochester, so in that sense, it's competing in two markets at the same time! Other than classical (pretty much the domain of WNED-FM) perhaps the one thing they can try is all-sports betting.

A number of stations across the U.S. are experimenting with this format for gamblers, most owned by the aforementioned Audacy. Whether anyone's putting their money down that this will attract an audience, willing to wager their future on it or if all bets are off (see what I did there?) is anyone's guess. 

July 1, 2021 10:35 am  #5

Not that their ratings were ever stellar, but Entercom/Audacy killed this station by taking away their local playlist and jocks and replacing both with their national "Alt" format and announcers. Syndication *can* work if done right, but the Alt brand is not.

Country fares better with national playlists anyway

July 1, 2021 10:51 am  #6

107.7 used to be WNUC New Country. 
I'm guessing someone saw potential in restoring that format once again on 107.7 FM.
It's also at a time when 106.5 has strong numbers worthy of taking a bite out of...if they can.

& LOL, with the exception of a long run as Jack FM, I thought 92.9 FM was the one bad for format changes in Buffalo NY! 

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 1, 2021 10:54 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 1, 2021 11:17 am  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

Not that their ratings were ever stellar, but Entercom/Audacy killed this station by taking away their local playlist and jocks and replacing both with their national "Alt" format and announcers. Syndication *can* work if done right, but the Alt brand is not.

Country fares better with national playlists anyway

I believe Alt 98.7 in Detroit has similar syndicated alternative programming.  This is the station that flipped from "The Breeze" immediately after 89X in Windsor dropped alternative music after 30 years in November 2020.  Last rating in May 2021 WDZH (Alt 98.7) was sitting in 19th spot in Detroit with a 2.0 share which has been their highest rating.  The station was criticized soon after the flip to alternative because there was no local content or no local announcers.  89X had still been programmed locally with live announcers and made a point of playing alternative bands and music from the Windsor/Detroit area.

July 1, 2021 4:44 pm  #8

When WDZH was smooth jazz it had 4 share and then it was top 40 it very briefly scored in the high 3's.