sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 20, 2021 3:32 pm  #1

It's not getting any better....

...as a matter of fact, the Schulman/Tabler/Martinez Jays' play-by-play is worse.  It's devoid of describing much of what is actually happening on the field.  Over 80% of the time, they talk about everything but what is really happening during the game.  Many vital game plays are totally ignored because they converse about useless and superfluous material diverting their attention.  One can only conclude their continual verbal sparring confirms they don't really care about  the radio audience.  I feel for those Jays' fans who are visionally challenged because they're missing much of the game's activity.  And don't give me that crap that Rogers doesn't care about the radio audience.  At the end of the day, when the radio numbers are revealed showing a big decline, and they will, then they'll care.  Message to Rogers:  Keep the TV guys on TV, spend a buck and return to real radio play-by-play! 

June 20, 2021 5:30 pm  #2

Re: It's not getting any better....

Even when I have the radio playing the Jays game, I often go to the Jays website to find out what the score is. Not having cable,watching the game on tv isn't an option for me. Likely won't bother to listen to the game on the radio.as much as I have in the past.Sad to see/hear what listening to baseball on the radio has become.

June 20, 2021 6:25 pm  #3

Perhaps one could listen to the Jay's opponents radio broadcast online. I realize this suggestion isn't ideal for everyone but it could work in certain situations.

June 20, 2021 8:43 pm  #4

mace wrote:

Perhaps one could listen to the Jay's opponents radio broadcast online. I realize this suggestion isn't ideal for everyone but it could work in certain situations.

That's an amazing idea mace.

.. take it a step further, get Blue Jays fans to take and then post a photo of themselves listening to the game on the other team broadcasters, tag the competition AND if there was a big enough social media campaign with a snappy hashtag and meme it could make a difference, get Geddy and a few other notables involved, see if it pop? flies... People are bored right now, looking for something to tackle while the province returns to a more regular framework.

June 20, 2021 8:59 pm  #5

betaylored wrote:

mace wrote:

.. take it a step further, get Blue Jays fans to take and then post a photo of themselves listening to the game on the other team broadcasters, tag the competition AND if there was a big enough social media campaign with a snappy hashtag and meme it could make a difference, get Geddy and a few other notables involved, see if it pop? flies... People are bored right now, looking for something to tackle while the province returns to a more regular framework.

You'd have to shell out for MLB's Gameday Audio.  It's 3 or 5 bucks a month if memory serves.

June 21, 2021 6:53 am  #6

Actu

Tomas Barlow wrote:

betaylored wrote:

mace wrote:

You'd have to shell out for MLB's Gameday Audio.  It's 3 or 5 bucks a month if memory serves.

Actually, the app is called "MLB At Bat" and it is the only way you can stream baseball radio broadcasts. $2.99/month U.S.

June 21, 2021 11:57 am  #7

Occasionally Tabler has those moments where he remembers the game is also on the radio and he points out what is happening in the game as he is telling one of his anecdotes, but those are few and far between.

I only watch the games on TV but from time to time I stop and think to myself: "If I were listening to the radio right now, I'd have no clue what is going on in the game".

June 21, 2021 12:08 pm  #8

I wonder if anyone at Rogers bothers to listen to the radio broadcasts.  Is anyone else annoyed that every 1/2 inning the "in-studio" announcer (often Rob Wong) tells us his name?   Arash or Hazel do 1 minute features on TV between innings a few times each game.  You'd think that someone would tell the radio control operator "when" those features will take place.  Almost every time, Radio rejoins the TV broadcast with 10 or 15 seconds left of the Hazel Mae or Arash feature, making it incomprehensible.   If someone at Rogers was listening, wouldn't they schedule these reports, during specific innings and carry them on radio, without interruption?  And I also have to laugh whenever Rob Wong says "now back to the Krown Rustproofing Broadcast Booth".  Come on!!!! It's Tabler's rec room and Shulman in some (undisclosed) studio at Rogers Centre.  It just sounds bush league.  Moronic.  When's julie Adam -the SVP of Radio going to take some action?

June 22, 2021 12:15 am  #9

mace wrote:

Actu

Tomas Barlow wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Actually, the app is called "MLB At Bat" and it is the only way you can stream baseball radio broadcasts. $2.99/month U.S.

On desktop it used to be called Gameday audio.  Now it's called MLB Audio.
https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/subscribe/mlb-audio

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (June 22, 2021 12:17 am)