sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2021 5:12 pm  #1

When Did FM Radio Become Standard In Most Cars?

My very first car that I owned was a 1980 AMC Spirit GT.  Great little car with a stick shift, 258 engine. black bumpers and mags.  Bought it new for about $6,200.  It wasn't the base model but more second or third from the top.  This car didn't have air and didn't have an FM radio.  AM only was standard, but it was a good radio since it could pull in stations at night from far far away.  Also for an AM radio had decent full sound. I didn't mind too much since I was still more into AM radio at this point and FM was just really starting to get popular.

A buddy had a 1978 Camaro and also this model came only with AM and not FM or cassette, which were options.

My question, when did AM/FM radio's become more or less standard in most vehicles?  Not interested when FM was first introduced (early 50's) but when FM was no longer an option and came standard. 

FM becoming standard in most cars would also have greatly added to the demise of AM radio for music. 

May 16, 2021 8:24 pm  #2

Re: When Did FM Radio Become Standard In Most Cars?

I purchased a car in 1975 that didn't have an FM radio in it. I had to play extra to get one. I believe my next car, which would have been around 1978, did have FM included. So sometime between those years.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 16, 2021 11:17 pm  #3

My first car was a 1978 Plymoth Volare with a slant six engine. Air Condition, power locks and windows were waaay out of my price range. FM and FM Stereo were options. I chose FM. At the time, I listened mostly to Buffalo stations where the stereo reception would probably have been somewhat iffy.

May 17, 2021 12:27 am  #4

My 1983 Nissan had AM/Fm and it was just a regular car without any add ons. It had the old analog dial with pulley and dial string. There were 3 presets for AM and two for FM

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 17, 2021 11:36 am  #5

5151 wrote:

Obviously it was when the Leafs broadcasts were awarded to CKO.

And that was the beginning of the end for CKO.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.