sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 11, 2021 7:29 pm  #1

What is/was your preferred headphone set?

Thought this could follow the thread on Old VCR/Vintage equipment.

What was your favourite set of headphones for home audiophile use, and then in the studio?

I had a pair of Koss K6 or K6/ALCs... as a teenager in the late late 70s stereo component craze  (think they are still packed away in a box somewhere)

Now I have a couple of pairs on Sennheiser 280 Pros.... 

Never worked in radio/audio production, just tv/video, so operator I/C  headsets were primarily Beyer DT-109s...

May 11, 2021 11:02 pm  #2

Re: What is/was your preferred headphone set?

In the seventies while working at CHFI-FM I/we auditioned an AKG HD99C, a Binaural Stereo Microphone Head called "Harry".  It came with AKG K240 headphones.  The AKG rep told us that the headphones were designed specifically for Harry.  The depth and quality of the sound was incredible and the following week I purchased my own which I still use to this day.

May 12, 2021 7:46 am  #3

When I purchased my first stereo in 1979 [Pioneer SX-980/Dual 504/AR15 Speakers] I opted for Sennheiser 414's [with the yellow foam] They lasted close to 20 years until I couldn't get the replacement foam anymore. I still have Sennheisers for my stereo and Bose for my smartphone. Couldn't tell you the model though.

May 12, 2021 9:11 am  #4

Koss Pro 4AA  standard issue at Maisonneuve Broadcasting in the mid 70's. Still have them. They weigh a ton but sound so good.

May 12, 2021 9:57 am  #5

cheap but solidly built with a good cable. You would NOT wear the studio cans (who knew where they had been). You had your own with most going through a couple of pair a year. These were for work, not ëasy listening, meaning: they were dropped, kicked, thrown and generally suffered abuse. Station engineer would set you up with a good pair for home use.

May 12, 2021 7:25 pm  #6

radiodazewarrior wrote:

cheap but solidly built with a good cable. You would NOT wear the studio cans (who knew where they had been). You had your own with most going through a couple of pair a year. These were for work, not ëasy listening, meaning: they were dropped, kicked, thrown and generally suffered abuse. Station engineer would set you up with a good pair for home use.

and if you went shopping to buy a pair, say at a music or electronics store and they recognized you by your voice, or because they'd seen you "do a presents" (introduce the headline act on stage at a club or concert) you'd always get a great deal

Last edited by betaylored (May 12, 2021 10:22 pm)