sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2021 11:05 am  #1

Another Vintage TV Subcarrier Coming To Buffalo This Fall

And it looks like a good one - it's called "Rewind TV," yet another network that will air old TV shows. The gimmick here - unlike sister outlet Antenna TV, it's aimed at programs that aired primarily in the 80s and 90s. 

The new network debuts in September and there's no immediate word where or if it will end up on the Buffalo TV dial. But it's from Nexstar, which owns WIVB and WNLO, so there's a good chance we could see it here. 

Nexstar Media Inc. to Launch “Rewind TV” on September 1

Two shows I would like to see again will be there - Newsradio, the classic comedy starring Dave Foley and the late Phil Hartman, and the John Larroquette Show, a very dark comedy that lasted a few years on NBC and though low rated, was absolutely brilliant. 

You can get a look at the entire line-up here, 

April 26, 2021 12:30 pm  #2

Re: Another Vintage TV Subcarrier Coming To Buffalo This Fall

I remember an episode of TJLS with Bobcat Goldthwaite playing the son of the bus station's owner, where he's having a problem leaving the room. John's character says in a despondent tone of voice - "It's a PUSH...".

There are episodes posted on YouTube but are in very low 240 quality.

April 26, 2021 1:08 pm  #3

There was another show that started out as a very dark view of life. It was a drama called "Gabriel's Fire," in which the great James Earl Jones played a wrongfully convicted ex-cop who was finally released from prison after 20 years. It was depressing, it was strange and it was terrific. The scene where Gabriel encounters his first hot dog vendor on the street in decades and orders one 'with everything' has stayed with me all these years. (You can see that scene here around the 17:10 mark.)

The show was not a huge hit and in an effort to save it, ABC changed it to a buddy comedy-drama called "Pros & Cons," co-starring Richard Crenna but the tone that was part of the original show was gone and it didn't last long. There probably aren't enough episodes to syndicate, but what a great program it was while it lasted. 

April 26, 2021 4:27 pm  #4

Looking forward to it if its brought to Buffalo - Antenna TV plays some really old stuff.  Charge TV is my favourite for the old stuff as its 80s and some 90s.

April 26, 2021 5:45 pm  #5

Laff TV also runs a lot of 80's/90's sitcoms.

May 4, 2021 1:13 pm  #6

And the answer is - yes! We will be able to see Rewind TV here. 

I recently wrote Buffalo News' TV scribe Alan Pergament about this and he said he would check. That resulted in the article linked below, in which he confirms that Rewind TV will occupy WNLO's channel 23.2 when it debuts on Sept. 1st. This is good news for local over-the-air fans, who will find yet another channel of vintage programs that haven't been on TV for a while. 

He also notes that the new channel will cause a host of subcarriers moving around to other OTA providers, which he outlines in detail. So if you're a fan of any of them, you'll want to check out the list of what's going where. 

'Rewind TV' will join arsenal of digital channels carrying classic TV shows

August 17, 2021 1:26 pm  #7

When this channel finally premieres in just over two weeks (locally on WNLO's Channel 23.2), it will have a familiar voice doing its promos and IDs. (But hopefully, no Disco Duck will be heard.)

Rick Dees Will Be Voice Of Rewind TV

August 17, 2021 1:44 pm  #8

Was hoping for a bit of a better lineup of shows - some are repeating with LAFF Tv and other retro ones we have already.  I guess its more expensive to get the rights to other popular shows of the past.  

For example  "The Golden Girls" has such a following these days yet so few networks have it. How about even Frasier?  

August 17, 2021 5:52 pm  #9

Frasier currently airs on Cozi TV, a subcarrier service we don't have access to in Canada, unfortunately. 

August 18, 2021 7:43 am  #10

markow202 wrote:

Was hoping for a bit of a better lineup of shows - some are repeating with LAFF Tv and other retro ones we have already.  I guess its more expensive to get the rights to other popular shows of the past.  

For example  "The Golden Girls" has such a following these days yet so few networks have it. How about even Frasier?  

If you have access to the free ustvgo.tv site, TVLAND often does Golden Girl marathons on weekends. [Note: A Nord VPN is required to receive ustvgo]

August 18, 2021 11:33 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Frasier currently airs on Cozi TV, a subcarrier service we don't have access to in Canada, unfortunately. 

Isnt this on that weak Springville NY station? 

August 18, 2021 12:48 pm  #12

Yes, it's on WBXZ-TV, a station with 11 subcarriers - none of which you can get here even on the best day. It's actually licensed to Buffalo but is so low powered I'm sure there are areas of that city where it's not receivable. They're cozy with COZI but there's no way to get it OTA in T.O., which is unfortunate.

August 18, 2021 12:51 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Yes, it's on WBXZ-TV, a station with 11 subcarriers - none of which you can get here even on the best day. It's actually licensed to Buffalo but is so low powered I'm sure there are areas of that city where it's not receivable. They're cozy with COZI but there's no way to get it OTA in T.O., which is unfortunate.

Only received it once here in Etobicoke one night last summer - on a UHF only antenna!  (DB4E).

August 18, 2021 12:52 pm  #14

Great catch - I've never been able to see even a pixelated version of it. I wish both 56 and 67 had more power and came in here. They'd be great to be able to receive on a regular basis. 

August 18, 2021 1:15 pm  #15

According to their own website's coverage map, you can barely get them in St. Catharines.