sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2021 3:38 pm  #1

Really long meteor scatter burst on FM

Heard this yesterday on 97.1 - WSRV Gainesville (Atlanta area) GA. Lasted roughly 50 seconds. Meteor bursts (where signals reflect off the ionized dust trails of meteors / comets) generally last up to a couple seconds, though I've had them up to 4-5 minutes in very rare instances. I thought this one oddball enough to share. And if you think you need high end receivers and antennae - this was on a portable Sangean ATS909 with just its whip antenna. From north Kawartha Lakes...
MP3 audio clip at https://forums.wtfda.org/forum/wtfda-dx-talk/got-fm-dx/91440

April 24, 2021 6:11 pm  #2

Re: Really long meteor scatter burst on FM

That ATS 909 is a great radio. I have one I leave at our place in Florida. It's been going to waste this year.

I sure hope I remembered to remove the batteries when I left there a year ago.

You just happened to be in the right place at the right time for that catch. Congrats.   

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

April 24, 2021 9:52 pm  #3

Huh. Neat.

The Sangean is good, though I've found the Tecsun PL880 to be more sensitive (the Sangean does have far better build quality though).

April 25, 2021 12:24 am  #4

I have a lot of radios, but nothing by Tecsun. But they do have a good reputation with DXers.

April 25, 2021 11:40 pm  #5

Thanks. It's easy to be in the right place at the right time when I'm recording 3-5 channels non-stop, then using Audacity to very quickly scan for telltale sudden audio spikes. Listening live to an empty or semi-empty channel for meteor bursts is like listening to paint dry. Sometimes I'll have a weekend midday nap on the couch with an MP3 recorder going on with a radio within earshot. I heard a very sudden "92.1 Citi" out of Winnipeg like that a couple days ago. Other modes of DX - tropo ducting and e-skip IMO are more interesting to live listen. Separately, per above comments, I have a Tecsun PL380 ultralight radio that's maybe the size of three decks of cards, modified with a stick antenna on top by a west coast DXer, and it's pretty amazing for AM. I've had some e-skip on it but it's nothing special for FM. OTOH, e-skip doesn't take much if you're in a quiet rural space. I once had Kansas on a Tropicana Orange radio (the straw coming out of the orange is the lone rabbit ear antenna). 

April 26, 2021 9:31 pm  #6

Radio Shack sold the ATS 909, rebranded as the DX 398.
-
-
-
-