sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2021 9:27 pm  #1

GNR640/Corus Paying Listeners To Take Online Talk Radio Survey

GNR640 has recently begun to use its airwaves to advertise a "Round Table Survey" (doesn't that word belong to CFRB's panel discussion?) on its website and they're offering to pay $75 for any listener who takes it and "qualifies."

But of course, there's a catch. 

The survey, called "The Toronto Talk Radio Round Table," begins with these words:

"Hi nice person in Toronto! Wanna earn $75 bucks?  Cool!  Just take this quick 2-minute survey to find out if you qualify to earn $75 bucks just for sharing your opinions about radio here in Toronto.  To take the 2 minute survey and a chance to earn $75 bucks just click NEXT to get started."

You're then asked your age and gender, before they move on to a few other specific queries:

-How much time do you spend in a typical week listening to news or talk radio? (Up to 4 hours is the maximum.)

-What one radio station would you say is your overall favourite station FOR NEWS OR TALK, the one you listen to for at least one hour a day when you control the radio? (Among the choices: GNR640, of course, CFRB, 680 News, CBC Radio One, Other or None/Don't Know.)

-What radio stations have you listened to for at least 2 hours in the past week. (Same choices.)

Submit those answers and you get this - and here's the catch:
(Well, at least I did, having listed GNR640 as one of the stations I listen to during the week. It's unclear what happens in you don't list them, but then how would you know about the survey in the first place if you didn't hear it advertised on their station?)

Congratulations. Based on your answers, you have pre-qualified to earn $75 just for sharing your opinions about radio. So you know, the session should last about 90 minutes and will be conducted online via Zoom. If you would like to and are available to participate in the session time below, click next to submit your information. This is a pre-qualification and not final confirmation. We may be in touch with you via email for further confirmation.

That's right. To earn the money, you have to agree to take part in an hour and a half Zoom call on May 4th. They never mention that before you fill the thing out. I declined, but if anyone does take this survey and agrees to participate, I'd appreciate them leaving an overview here of what was discussed. 

I'm assuming they're trying to get some stats and listener feedback. Is this a prelude to changes at the station or just some information gathering? Time, as they say, will tell. 

You can access the survey here

April 17, 2021 10:49 pm  #2

Re: GNR640/Corus Paying Listeners To Take Online Talk Radio Survey

It's a bit odd. I worked once for a public opinion survey firm and one of the qualification questions on surveys about radio or television is "do you or a member of your family work for a radio or television station" or something to that effect. I didn't see that in this survey. 

April 17, 2021 11:01 pm  #3

Hansa wrote:

It's a bit odd. I worked once for a public opinion survey firm and one of the qualification questions on surveys about radio or television is "do you or a member of your family work for a radio or television station" or something to that effect. I didn't see that in this survey. 

Agreed.
That is very strange. A friend of mine used to work for a focus group/survey company.
They would ask that exact same question. I wonder why, for this particular survey, it doesn't matter if one works in the industry...etc. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 17, 2021 11:47 pm  #4

You'll notice in the final message it says "you are pre-qualified" for the money and the survey. Later in the same paragraph, it notes, "this is not a final confirmation." I wonder if the ultimate approval is contingent on you not having any media ties. That may only happen when they contact you about the Zoom session. Still, what if you once worked for a media organization but no longer do? Are you OK to take this survey then? I'd be curious to know exactly what it is they're looking for. 

When you click on the very tiny link about their privacy policy, it takes you to a document from a company called P1 Media Group, a radio consulting firm. What do they do? According to their website:

"We offer a robust Strategy and Planning process that results in a strategic action plan for each individual partner. We look at areas to improve by making recommendations on a station’s objectives, target audience, brand essence, talent, music recipe, positioning, marketing, and promotions."

Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.

April 18, 2021 5:25 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

"Hi nice person in Toronto! Wanna earn $75 bucks?   

Slightly off-topic, but all of Corus' Toronto properties have been using "wanna" in their written promotions copy lately, and I hate it.

April 18, 2021 5:29 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

When you click on the very tiny link about their privacy policy, it takes you to a document from a company called P1 Media Group,

Knowing Q 107 and AM 640 are the same company, it's no surprise that AM 640 is simply getting advice (or whatever) from the same company that helped Q107...   https://p1mediagroup.com/q107toronto/

April 18, 2021 5:47 pm  #7

NT 1010 killing its newsroom gives GNR an opportunity if they're willing to seize it by building up their newsroom and becoming an in-depth local news leader. If I wanted to listen to uninformed opinions  I'd just read comment sections and I think in the post-Trump era there's less and less of an appetite for ranting and populism disguised as news. I think most listeners want to be factually informed rather than have a host lecture them about what they think you should think. To be fair NT 1010 isn't as much a Fox News North, Toronto Sun of the air as they were a few years ago but with Jerry Agar and now Jamil Javani owning large parts of their schedule, there is an opportunity for counterprogramming.

April 18, 2021 7:05 pm  #8

I checked out Agar the other day.  He seemed uninspired and begging for calls.

Jamil is terrible.   Sorry.  Someone had to say it.   Seems like a smart guy, but radio is not for him.

April 21, 2021 10:44 am  #9

grilled.cheese wrote:

I just received my confirmation email.  I might be in.

You would sell your soul for $75 bucks?

April 21, 2021 10:49 am  #10

Sold out. (Or is that soul-ed out?)

April 27, 2021 8:18 pm  #11

AM 640 is now advertising this $75 survey on Global TV.  
Just caught the ad now while watching NCIS. 

April 27, 2021 8:39 pm  #12

RadioQuiz wrote:

I checked out Agar the other day. He seemed uninspired and begging for calls.

Jamil is terrible. Sorry. Someone had to say it. Seems like a smart guy, but radio is not for him.

I have listened to a few callers from the Niagara area that are listening to him on CKTB and a few sounded like they were a little put off by his style.  But he has had a fair number of callers from further south in St. Catherine's and Niagara.  Haven't heard any calls from the London area yet from CJBK. Still wish Agar wasn't so rude to people that disagree with him, especially callers who may have been on hold for a long time.  He cuts too many people off.

Last edited by paterson1 (April 27, 2021 8:44 pm)

April 28, 2021 2:44 am  #13

paterson1 wrote:

RadioQuiz wrote:

I checked out Agar the other day. He seemed uninspired and begging for calls.

Jamil is terrible. Sorry. Someone had to say it. Seems like a smart guy, but radio is not for him.

I have listened to a few callers from the Niagara area that are listening to him on CKTB and a few sounded like they were a little put off by his style.  But he has had a fair number of callers from further south in St. Catherine's and Niagara.  Haven't heard any calls from the London area yet from CJBK. Still wish Agar wasn't so rude to people that disagree with him, especially callers who may have been on hold for a long time.  He cuts too many people off.

Don't like it? Don't listen! Simple as that!
Although I find it far more effective to listen long enough to hear some ads and shop at the competition.
That seems to be the best way to go about it. 

May 4, 2021 10:37 pm  #14

Not a lot of love for Jerry Agar in the focus group I was in. He's lucky Corus commissioned this project and not Bell. 

May 5, 2021 8:38 am  #15

grilled.cheese wrote:

I'm in the Zoom meeting now.  This is exciting.

If the fee had been $100 instead of a lousy $75, do you feel the focus group would have been more exciting or less exciting but more focused?

Last edited by geo (May 5, 2021 8:39 am)

May 5, 2021 9:12 am  #16

So, what happened? What were you asked? How many others were involved? Was there anything that surprised you? And most importantly, did you get the 75 bucks?

May 5, 2021 10:23 am  #17

They also asked if people would listen to podcasts produced by their favourite radio personalities.