sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2021 4:22 pm  #1

CBC Asks CRTC For "Permission" To Show Tokyo Olympics

The CBC has officially filed a request with the CRTC to get "temporary relief from certain conditions of licence," so it can show the Toyko Olympics over a 19-day period, starting in late July. (That's provided the pandemic allows it to go on at all.)

The CBC is obligated to provide local programming and video description for all of its local channels and they obviously won't be able to fulfill that mandate when the Games are running. So they've asked permission to be relieved of those rules between July 21st and August 8th.

Have they ever had to do this before? Aren't they just allowed to show an event like this without asking permission? Or is this something that happens every four years? It just seems a little strange that they would have to go to these lengths to show special programming that would be of wide interest to many Canadians. There's a separate request in French for the same exemptions for Radio-Canada. 

Here's the text of their plea to the Commission:

1. This is an application by CBC/Radio-Canada for temporary relief from certain conditions of licence, which are calculated on a weekly basis. Specifically, CBC/Radio-Canada is seeking temporary relief on behalf of all of its conventional televisions stations (Appendix A) from weekly local programming and described video obligations in light of CBC/Radio-Canada’s upcoming broadcast of the Tokyo Olympic Games.

2. The Tokyo Olympic Games are scheduled over a 19-day period. These Olympic games will commence with pre-competitions on Wednesday, July 21 leading up to the the Opening Ceremonies on Thursday, July 22, 2021, and end with the Closing Ceremonies on Sunday, August 8, 2021. During this period, CBC/Radio-Canada will broadcast ongoing coverage of the Games, which will disrupt the scheduling of local programming and described video programming. We are therefore requesting temporary relief from the conditions of licence for described video and local programming for three broadcast weeks commencing July 18, July 25 and August 1, 2021.

Under their licence, the CBC has to produce at least five hours of local Canadian programming every week and local newscasts seven days a week, excluding holidays. (Although I don't recall CBLT having a local newscast on Sundays, and I wonder how they explain that.) They also have to have described video for a minimum of four hours a week. 

Does this happen for every station every time there's an Olympics? It seems crazy they would have to make this kind of application whenever they get the rights to the Games. Surely, the CRTC would never say no to the request. So why bother with all the red tape?   

March 31, 2021 5:11 pm  #2

Re: CBC Asks CRTC For "Permission" To Show Tokyo Olympics

CBC is merely showing the CRTC that they understand and respect the regulations.
The request also shows that they understand the length of time they would have for no local news etc.
if the permission were to be granted.

I wonder though if it also gives them easier access to a review on how they do news, making cuts, if desired...?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 31, 2021 5:23 pm  #3

I believe CBLT airs a Toronto-based regional newscast on Sundays after The National, which is also broadcast to viewers of CBET Windsor and CBOT Ottawa. Or at least that's what they did when I lived in Toronto 3-5 years ago.

March 31, 2021 6:58 pm  #4

I really hope that the CBC does not suspend some of the great programming that truly reflects and tells the Canadian story / experience....

Such as...  Family Feud CANADA (Chicken!!!)... Escape to the Country, The Great British Baking Show, and Coronation Street, etc. etc. and so on and so forth....

March 31, 2021 7:06 pm  #5

Glen Warren wrote:

I really hope that the CBC does not suspend some of the great programming that truly reflects and tells the Canadian story / experience....

Such as...  Family Feud CANADA (Chicken!!!)... Escape to the Country, The Great British Baking Show, and Coronation Street, etc. etc. and so on and so forth....

But what does Canada want? THAT? Or 24/7 non stop coverage of the Olympics? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 31, 2021 10:38 pm  #6

it is the described video exemption that is new since 2019 that is  why there is CRTC request.

April 1, 2021 9:25 am  #7

R e Coronation Street: During the Olympics, I believe the series goes on hiatus. The only other time the series is interrupted for a lengthy period of time is during the Stanley Cup Playoffs when it airs at various times during the day, depending on the time zone. And as always, the CBC  runs a large scroll across the bottom of the screen to alert viewers of pending changes.

April 2, 2021 2:21 am  #8

Glen Warren wrote:

There isn't really a "so on and so forth."  You pretty much covered every non-Canadian thing on the CBC.  Care to make a list of the non-Canadian programming on CTV, Global and City?  The CBC gets grief for the less than a handful of non-Canadian shows they have on the schedule and no one says anything about CTV, whose parent company gets plenty of our money from the government, showing E Talk and Marilyn Dennis as their only real attempts at Canadian programming.  E Talk shouldn't even count because it covers mostly Americans.

April 2, 2021 8:14 am  #9

mace wrote:

R e Coronation Street: During the Olympics, I believe the series goes on hiatus. The only other time the series is interrupted for a lengthy period of time is during the Stanley Cup Playoffs when it airs at various times during the day, depending on the time zone. And as always, the CBC  runs a large scroll across the bottom of the screen to alert viewers of pending changes.

Being a long time Corrie fan this reminds me of a situation a number of years ago. The CBC was carrying Olympics coverage and announced that because of that Corrie would be pre-empted so they could show the games. This was back when Corrie was shown in the afternoon. Because of the time zone situation with the host nation, there was no live coverage during the afternoon. Nor did CBC run repeats of the previous day's events. Instead, I believe they ran reruns of "North Of Sixty"  every afternoon in the Corrie timeslot for two weeks straight. Needless to say Corrie fans were not pleased.

April 2, 2021 2:24 pm  #10

Prod Guy wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

There isn't really a "so on and so forth."  You pretty much covered every non-Canadian thing on the CBC.  Care to make a list of the non-Canadian programming on CTV, Global and City?  The CBC gets grief for the less than a handful of non-Canadian shows they have on the schedule and no one says anything about CTV, whose parent company gets plenty of our money from the government, showing E Talk and Marilyn Dennis as their only real attempts at Canadian programming.  E Talk shouldn't even count because it covers mostly Americans.

Truth! Can I get an Amen?