sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2021 10:10 am  #1

Entercom, One Of Biggest Radio Owners In U.S., Is No More

The company still exists, but will immediately be rebranded as "Audacy," in order to better reflect its concentration on audio rather than just radio. It's also retiring its "radio.com" website name, used to stream some of its 200 stations and will emphasize podcasting, while stressing they're not getting out of the radio business. 

It owns CBS Radio, but there's no indication they'll stop using that moniker, which is deeply entrenched in American broadcasting history. 

While I was no fan of "Entercom" as a name, the new one is horrible in my opinion. I suppose it's a play on the name "Odyssey" but it seems a stretch, even to a pun lover like me. 

[url=https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/entercom-rebrands-audacy-1234939320/#!]Radio Giant Entercom Rebrands As Audacy Amid Streaming Push[/url]  

[img]https://variety.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Entercom-Audacy-logo.png?resize=681,383[/img]  

March 30, 2021 10:23 am  #2

Re: Entercom, One Of Biggest Radio Owners In U.S., Is No More

Entercom - er, Audacy - owns some of the biggest and most recognizable stations in the U.S., including KDKA, WWJ, WCBS, WINS, WWL, WBBM, KMOX, KCBS, WCCO, WBT, KYW, WFAN and most of the big stations in Buffalo - WGR, WBEN, WKSE, WWKB and WWWS. 

You can see what was the transformed Radio.com website here.   

March 30, 2021 10:48 am  #3

When I first saw that, I saw "audacity".

Aside from a piece of free software with that name, the term itself may not be the best thing for listeners to think of when it comes to media.

March 30, 2021 11:05 am  #4

Peter the K wrote:

Aside from a piece of free software with that name, the term itself may not be the best thing for listeners to think of when it comes to media. 

Interestingly, the linked article notes they didn't test the name with the public, as often happens before such a huge rebranding. 

"Field said the company didn’t do focus-group testing for the new name. “The meaning of the name will ultimately be imbued with our culture and our products, in the same way ‘Amazon’ or ‘Google’ or ‘Apple’ were essentially vessels for the brands they have become.”

I'm with you. I think the new name is confusing and doesn't exactly implant the idea of Audio in the brain. Not that Entercom did, either. 

March 30, 2021 11:19 am  #5

Or is it an April Fool's joke?? Volkswagen is going to change it's US operations to Voltswagen, to reflect all of the electronic vehicles they have planned....or is it just a joke??
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1131737_official-volkswagen-s-us-arm-changes-name-to-voltswagen-of-america

March 30, 2021 11:53 am  #6

Peter the K wrote:

I did the exact same thing. Had to read it more slowly to determine that they hadn't just ripped off Audacity's name! Overall, it's an awkward name for one to quickly comprehend.

March 30, 2021 12:53 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

The company still exists, but will immediately be rebranded as "Audacy," in order to better reflect its concentration on audio rather than just radio. It's also retiring its "radio.com" website name, used to stream some of its 200 stations and will emphasize podcasting, while stressing they're not getting out of the radio business.

One thing that hasn't changed is that their stations are still blocked for live streaming outside the US.

Last edited by eladb (March 30, 2021 12:54 pm)

March 30, 2021 3:50 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

Or is it an April Fool's joke?? Volkswagen is going to change it's US operations to Voltswagen, to reflect all of the electronic vehicles they have planned....or is it just a joke??
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1131737_official-volkswagen-s-us-arm-changes-name-to-voltswagen-of-america

An early April Fools after all:

https://nypost.com/2021/03/30/vw-says-voltswagen-rebrand-was-premature-april-fools-joke/

Last edited by Media Observer (March 30, 2021 3:51 pm)

March 31, 2021 12:53 pm  #9

eladb wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

One thing that hasn't changed is that their stations are still blocked for live streaming outside the US.

A VPN should solve that problem.