sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 3, 2021 8:15 pm  #1

Radio spot misses the post by a MILE

The newish Telus ad is using Boston's "More Than A Feeling" or to be accurate, the Telus ad is abusing "More Than A Feeling"

There's too much copy for the pacing and energy of the classic song. The female voice actor walks all over the start of the vocals. The ad's on frequently, and if RadioActive's dastardly Door Dash ad follows it, we'll get a double dose of diabolically dismal advertising.🙄🎶

Two questions:

Isn't it a sign of laziness and lack of imagination to resort to using overused rock songs in radio ads?

Are there ANY good ads out there on-air these days?

March 3, 2021 10:58 pm  #2

Re: Radio spot misses the post by a MILE

There's a batch of Geico commercials on U.S. television that are hilarious.

In a brilliant marketing move they have put extended versions of the commercials on YouTube -- not as ads but as content.

Two of my favourites:

Last edited by Peter the K (March 3, 2021 10:59 pm)

March 4, 2021 8:25 am  #3

When I hear Bob Seger's "Like A Rock", I still think of Chevy trucks.

March 4, 2021 10:59 am  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

It seems as though the radio commercials where people don't like the music are effective at being memorable

Or does one get so caught up in the tune, that the product being touted is hardly noticed? 

March 4, 2021 11:17 am  #5

These ads must be working for Telus.  They have had the same format for over 20 years...music and critters.

I think they must get good feedback from the public or they wouldn't keep doing more or less the same type of ad.  Telus, although not as big as Bell and Rogers in the east, is huge out west.  They do the same type of ads for print advertising and have been doing these for over 20 years.

Do the ads actually sell anything?  Well Telus wouldn't keep producing them if it wasn't working. They also use the ads for image and to separate themselves from big blue and big red.  And they do have one of the best sell lines for a telecom company...The Future Is Friendly. 

March 4, 2021 2:41 pm  #6

For awhile several years ago there was a commercial that was using Believe It Or Not by Joey Scarbury. That song is probably better known for its use on Seinfeld on George's answering machine where he sings "Believe it or not George isn't at home..."

For the longest time I couldn't have told you what was being advertised, as all I could think about when I heard that commercial was George Costanza.

(I believe the commercial was for TD.)

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (March 4, 2021 2:42 pm)

March 8, 2021 10:10 pm  #7

mace wrote:

When I hear Bob Seger's "Like A Rock", I still think of Chevy trucks.

Yep. I do too.

March 8, 2021 10:25 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

These ads must be working for Telus.  They have had the same format for over 20 years...music and critters.

I think they must get good feedback from the public or they wouldn't keep doing more or less the same type of ad.  Telus, although not as big as Bell and Rogers in the east, is huge out west.  They do the same type of ads for print advertising and have been doing these for over 20 years.

Do the ads actually sell anything?  Well Telus wouldn't keep producing them if it wasn't working. They also use the ads for image and to separate themselves from big blue and big red.  And they do have one of the best sell lines for a telecom company...The Future Is Friendly. 

It is an excellent sell line.

Terry O'Reilly's Under The Influence episode last week was all about using animals in advertising campaigns, and the Telus ads got a mention (I haven't heard the ep. yet)

I've been getting a kick out of the York peppermint patties ad on YouTube.

There's also an excellent radio ad for how the medium of radio is helping to bring the world together during the pandemic.

For some reason this week I was remembering the funny am640 in house promo ads they ran for all the major on-air talent and their shows, going back about eight years ago now, when John Oakley was still doing mornings. The spots were oddball and quirky and terrific. I think they were voiced by the fellow who does (did?) the am640 week in review bit. One of them ran something like, " hmm, think I'll pull over and have a juice box." and then plugged J.O.'s show.

These days radio stations should get back to crossovers and promo ads to help listeners get comfortable and navigate the changes a lot of stations are making.

March 9, 2021 12:00 am  #9

paterson1 wrote:

If it's about getting as many people to say yes to Telus, then the ads are failing. What's working is getting people interested, then invited to use Koodo if they're not happy with what they see in store.

At the end of the day, it's a success because it's one less person signing with Fido or Rogers
Or Bell or Virgin. 

You get the idea... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

Â