sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2021 3:01 pm  #1

An Interesting Dilemma For Global On Super Bowl Sunday

So you're Global and you have the rights to the new show "The Equalizer." But you don't have the rights to The Super Bowl, which is on CTV. You've slotted the highly hyped new program in for 10 PM Sunday night. But CBS has scheduled the debut of the Queen Latifah show immediately after the game ends - whenever that is. 

The thing about football is that it never, ever, ever, ever, ever (did I put enough "evers" in there?) ends on time. Not once in the recorded history of mankind, going back to the Stone Age.

So do you delay the start of the show in Canada waiting for the U.S. feed to catch up so you can keep simsub? Or do you show it at 10 PM as scheduled, even if the American network still has the game on, knowing you're likely limiting your own audience? And if you choose the former, what do you show to fill-in before it finally begins at an unspecified time down south that no one can possibly predict, eating up valuable primetime? And how long do you delay your 11 PM news while you're waiting?

Worse yet, if you do wait, will the cable/sat systems that do the simultaneous substitutions remember to block out CBS at the right time?

I'm not a football fan and I'm not terribly interested in The Equalizer as a show. But I may tune in Global Sunday night at 10 just to see what they decide. 

February 4, 2021 3:16 pm  #2

Re: An Interesting Dilemma For Global On Super Bowl Sunday

Global ALWAYS decides to delay the show start in order to get the simulcast. They usually fill the time with either News or Border Security which they can cut out of easily.

February 4, 2021 3:19 pm  #3

And what a disservice to the three or four viewers who like Border Security to simply interrupt it mid-sentence. But that's life when you're a slave to simsub.

If they do decide to delay the news, it could conceivably end up airing as late as 12:30 AM, depending on how and when the game ends. (And then there's the 30 minutes of post-game ephemera that has to air to get all those extra expensive commercials in.) 

So to paraphrase Yogi (Berra, not Bear) even when it's over, it's not over.  

February 7, 2021 11:20 pm  #4

Wel Global is running Border Secrity until the post game show is over.

February 7, 2021 11:39 pm  #5

CTV bailed at the 10:29 commercial break, so the Holmes Family Effect could start at 10:30.  CBS is now just a bunch of commercials after 10:30 with a bit more post game but just a rehash.  Looks like the Equalizer will start at 10:40.  

February 7, 2021 11:44 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

CTV bailed at the 10:29 commercial break, so the Holmes Family Effect could start at 10:30.  CBS is now just a bunch of commercials after 10:30 with a bit more post game but just a rehash.  Looks like the Equalizer will start at 10:40.  

And it did. Had Global on my tv and CBS Miami on my laptop.

February 7, 2021 11:58 pm  #7

mace wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

And it did. Had Global on my tv and CBS Miami on my laptop.

CBS steered me into thinking that Global forgot to sim sub, but then it kicked in a minute later, starting the show from the beginning.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.