sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2021 9:20 am  #1

Layoffs Are Awful, But One At Bell Media Was Terribly Ironic

It was noted here earlier this month about continuing layoffs at Bell Media hitting management. Yet another round came last week, with way too many more finding themselves without work. 

Just to make it clear, I don't find any layoffs amusing and I feel bad for anyone who loses their gig. But I have to admit I laughed out loud when I read about one of them, only because I love good puns. One of those caught in the big Bell boom lowering was the news director of CTV Vancouver. His name: "Les Staff."

Yep. While they now have less staff, they ironically don't have Les Staff. You couldn't make that up if you tried. My condolences to him. I hope he and his colleagues find work soon. 

Also of note in the list: Rob Farina, who I believe was once the P.D. at CHUM-FM. I noticed that his name was mentioned in the credits of The Roger Ashby Oldies Show this past weekend. I'm guessing it won't be there in the coming weeks.

I hope all those affected find decent gigs very quickly.

Bell Media makes more management layoffs weeks after exec shuffle 

January 25, 2021 9:58 am  #2

Re: Layoffs Are Awful, But One At Bell Media Was Terribly Ironic

CEO to HR: I don't care who is on the layoff list, just make sure there's less staff.
HR: Les Staff, got it!

January 25, 2021 1:53 pm  #3

Back at CKLW for a Return Of The Million-Dollar Weekend years ago, there was a memo on one of the station bulletin boards announcing the relatively new PD, Les Garland. Somebody had crossed out his last name, so it read Les Music.

January 25, 2021 1:56 pm  #4

I'm not sure if you were at CFTR at the time, but back in the 70s, just after the turn to Top 40, they aired a liner once an hour with a supposed listener saying over a song intro, "I like it because CFTR plays less commercials." 

One of the jocks, long lost to memory, went on the air after a few weeks of this and played "Cry Your Eyes Out." He intro'd it by saying, "I like it because CFTR plays Les Emerson!"

For some reason, I still remember that all these years later. 

January 25, 2021 2:50 pm  #5

One of my favourite scenes on WKRP in Cincinnati was Johnny Fever in the booth, introing a song with.."WKRP in Cincinnati with more music and Les Nessman."