sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2021 4:07 pm  #1

Database Of Every RPM Chart From 1964-2000 Can Be Accessed Online

If this has been brought up here before, I don't remember it. It's a government website that has digitized every single RPM Magazine Top 100 Chart from 1964-2000. You can search by keyword, date, year, artist and more. I discovered it while looking up something for the thread about the 50th anniversary of CanCon. The publication was sort of a Canadian version of Billboard, keeping track of what was on top of the charts in this country. 

The search engine is painfully slow, but you do eventually get what you're looking for. You can try it for yourself at the links below. 

Introduction

Search Engine 

January 18, 2021 4:27 pm  #2

Re: Database Of Every RPM Chart From 1964-2000 Can Be Accessed Online

Here's one discovery I made using the database. It's a chart from Sept. 1967, featuring R&B. But it's what it says in the top right hand corner that intrigues me. "Featured nightly 1 AM -6 AM CKFH 1430 Toronto."

I remember The Open Lid. But did CKFH really go all R&B and soul overnights during those years? I have no memory of that at all. 

January 18, 2021 10:50 pm  #3

Norman B. hosted "Where It's At" - an all R&B show - from March to September of 1967. I would stay up 'til three in the morning to listen to it. What I wouldn't give to have an aircheck of this show (or even a single aircheck of The Whole Bag/The Open Lid).

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 19, 2021 2:43 am  #4

I was really impressed with the all night show on CKFH, which I could only hear in Vancouver after 3:00 AM Monday mornings, when all the other stations on 1430 were off the air for transmitter maintenance.  Probably 1968-69.

January 19, 2021 8:28 am  #5

If my memory is right, SOWNY board poster John Donabie also debuted on CKFH’s all night R&B show before moving to midday.

January 19, 2021 9:57 am  #6

jon wrote:

I was really impressed with the all night show on CKFH, which I could only hear in Vancouver after 3:00 AM Monday mornings, when all the other stations on 1430 were off the air for transmitter maintenance.  Probably 1968-69.

That's funny. Growing up in Oakville, the CKFH night signal was barely audible. Consistantly overwhelmed by WIRE [now WXNT] in Indianapolis. Listening to Foster Hewitt Leaf broadcasts was indeed challenging.

January 19, 2021 11:04 pm  #7

I subscribed to RPM right up until they ceased to publish.It was a great magazine - not as flashy as The Record, but lots of charts and news and staunchly supportive of Canadian music. I even had an opportunity to briefly meet Walt Grealis once.