sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2021 3:00 pm  #1

US Inauguration Day coverage...

promos running on CBC for full coverage of the inauguration of Joe Biden on Wednesday...  on both the full CBC Network, and CBC News Network. (Vassy and Rosie are helming this special coverage).

My question is, is it really necessary to carry this on both services?  I would think one or the other, but that is just me.

How is this serving Canadians, and is it really in the realm of the CBC mandate to tell Canadian stories.. ?

I'm not full on hating the CBC, but with the constant cries for more funding, is this really necessary? 

January 18, 2021 3:20 pm  #2

Re: US Inauguration Day coverage...

Glen Warren wrote:

promos running on CBC for full coverage of the inauguration of Joe Biden on Wednesday...  on both the full CBC Network, and CBC News Network. (Vassy and Rosie are helming this special coverage).

My question is, is it really necessary to carry this on both services?  I would think one or the other, but that is just me.

How is this serving Canadians, and is it really in the realm of the CBC mandate to tell Canadian stories.. ?

I'm not full on hating the CBC, but with the constant cries for more funding, is this really necessary?

If you knew a train wreck was about to happen, wouldn't you set up bleachers and get the cameras ranged?

January 18, 2021 3:25 pm  #3

If the grid on Bell Fibe is accurate, on Wednesday the main network's coverage is from 11am until 2pm,  I am sure it will be longer on the news channel.  The CBC main would be running an hour of it anyway since they carry the noon hour news package from the news channel through the week.

Both CTV regular network and Global are showing the inauguration with CTV 10am to 1pm and Global 11am to 1pm. So can't really see the CBC main network not covering the big day. 

January 18, 2021 3:36 pm  #4

And if anything untoward happens, you can bet the coverage will be extended a lot longer than that. 

January 18, 2021 6:31 pm  #5

Last edited by Hansa (January 18, 2021 6:31 pm)

January 20, 2021 1:36 pm  #6

I thought it was an odd mix of coverage in Canada. As expected, the CBC, CTV and Global all went live with the pomp and circumstance, with various experts chiming in between speeches and songs. 

The radio was different. GNR640 was carrying the Global TV audio feed, which was fine until the hosts talked about "as you can see" and other obvious signs it was from a TV show.

CKTB took live audio from Washington with few interruptions, which proves Bell was offering that option. 

But it was CFRB that was truly downright strange. Despite promising coverage of the swearing-in, they stayed with their regular hosts, including Jerry Agar, who spoke right through Biden's first big speech, while detailing the wide divisions that were present in the States when he worked there as a talk show host.

Evan Solomon then came on and proceeded to describe what was happening in Washington - Garth Brooks singing "Amazing Grace," detailing who was on stage, etc. - without taking a single second of the audio!  What a weird choice.

If you're going cover something live, don't you need to take it live? I'd love to know what they were thinking.

Well, at least the folks at whitehouse.gov, the offiical Presidential website, were on the ball. I took this just before 11:50 AM. As soon as Biden completed the phrase "So Help me God," in the oath, it switched to the after pic. 

BEFORE

AFTER

January 20, 2021 1:49 pm  #7

I hope they have a nice lunch now..

January 20, 2021 1:56 pm  #8

January 20, 2021 2:37 pm  #9

pity...  he was such a great guest / character for 'ol Frank...  what will D'Ang do now...?