sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2021 2:55 pm  #2

Re: RIP - Gerry Marsden

What a shame. One of my all time favourites. Although they didn't have the staying power, for a time I actually liked Gerry & The Pacemakers better than the Beatles. I love the fact that the linked article notes he actually did have a pacemaker!

January 3, 2021 4:05 pm  #3

Someone here, named David, will find this interesting, if he wasn't already aware. I've got to admit, it's the first I've heard of it...

"They renamed themselves the Mars Bars, hoping to obtain sponsorship from the Mars confectionery company. Instead, Mars demanded that they change their name, and in 1959 the group became the Pacemakers."
SOURCE: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/03/gerry-marsden-obituary

January 3, 2021 6:08 pm  #4

Good evening from England everyone.
Hope you all enjoyed a pleasant Christmas.
2021 Is NOT starting out well.
Tonight, as was mentioned earlier by Dialtwister, we've lost Gerry Marsden.
Not much more that I can add here I'm afraid.
He definitely had a cheeky broad smile and a handshake that could pull your arm out of the socket...lol
CHUM had a number of Pacemaker hits listed. The one that I recall, amongst all the great songs was GIRL ON A SWING from September 1966. Their soundtrack album FERRY CROSS THE MERSEY was packed with great tunes as well.
My very first time , in Liverpool many years ago, was demanding that I take a ride on the FERRY CROSS THE MERSEY.
It was wonderful. Some young people sitting near us asked me where I was from. CANADA was my answer. Young lad came back with..GORDON LIGHTFOOT..HE'S CRACKER !!!  Meaning: He's great.
Anyway..so sad losing Gerry.
I see we've now lost Larry Green as well. This is so sad indeed.
My condolences to his family and friends.
So much for a new year.
Take care, please...STAY SAFE.

January 3, 2021 11:42 pm  #5

Dial Twister wrote:

Someone here, named David, will find this interesting, if he wasn't already aware. I've got to admit, it's the first I've heard of it...

"They renamed themselves the Mars Bars, hoping to obtain sponsorship from the Mars confectionery company. Instead, Mars demanded that they change their name, and in 1959 the group became the Pacemakers."
SOURCE: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/03/gerry-marsden-obituary

I didn't know that.

I got the Marsbar name when I was at CHUM-FM. I was doing 6 - 10 PM and Jim Bauer followed me at 10. One night around 9:30 Jim pushed open the door of the studio and said - "How you doin - Marsbar?". It stuck and here we are about 40 years later and I'm still the Marsbar. People holler that greeting from their cars and often when I'm out walking I hear it from passersby. Admittedly - I enjoy that too.  :-) Is that ego? Hope not. 

To date the Mars Candy Company have not been in touch. :-)  I'm guessing that's a dimension thing. 

Someday I will share the story of how I became David Marden. It happened when I joined CKGM-AM so far back it is but a blur.......

Last edited by Marsden (January 3, 2021 11:44 pm)