sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 25, 2020 8:54 am  #1

"Jingle" All The Way

I tried to find an isolated Christmas jingle from CHUM, but I couldn't. So this will have to do for all the good folks who visit SOWNY on a regular (or even irregular) basis. Despite 2020 being, well, 2020, I hope you managed to have a good holiday. 

December 25, 2020 9:22 am  #2

Re: "Jingle" All The Way

CKFH didn't put out its charts for years the way CHUM did, and so it's hard to pinpoint a Christmas edition for the long defunct but great Top 40 station. Here's a look at what they were playing near Xmas 1970.

December 25, 2020 11:05 am  #3

CHUM also celebrated the season on its charts. I'm still not sure who that Donnie Burns on the 67 survey is, but I know he wasn't the great talent who worked at 'KB and CFNY. He may have been CHUM's "Christmas present to you" but he was obviously returned soon after the holiday. I don't remember him lasting long at 1050 and even though I was a listener back then, I can't recall him on air at all.  

Here are just a few examples of CHUM at Christmas. 

December 25, 2020 2:56 pm  #4

Did anyone notice that the hitbound songs on the two CKFH charts were exactly the same. The CKFH flip chart was introduced Jan 1st 1970. Previously, there was a typed chart that ranked songs from 2-36, with a hitbound chart called Growing Wild. It consisted of ten tunes. I have maybe a dozen or so of those charts from the summer of 1968.

December 25, 2020 4:18 pm  #5

Donny Burns was at CHUM for a few months in 1968. He later worked at CKGM and CHFI-FM. Here's an aircheck of Burns from Doug Thompson in the CHUM Archives.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/chum-burns-jan1-68.mp3

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 25, 2020 5:08 pm  #6

Interesting that on that Dec 28/68 CHUM Chart one of the hit bounds is a post Staccatos but pre-Signs Five Man Electrical Band. Also Nazz is on the album listings. That was Todd Rundgren's first band known mostly for the garage/psyche classic Open My Eyes and the first recording of Hello It's Me which did make the Billboard hot 100. bubbling under list. Todd did not sing the lead on that version. Not sure if CHUM FM played the album upon release.

Last edited by Fitz (December 25, 2020 5:13 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 26, 2020 9:09 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I tried to find an isolated Christmas jingle from CHUM, but I couldn't. So this will have to do for all the good folks who visit SOWNY on a regular (or even irregular) basis. Despite 2020 being, well, 2020, I hope you managed to have a good holiday. 

I was looking for a Christmas jingle from CHUM to celebrate the season but couldn't find one. Thankfully, the great Doug Thompson, the ace producer from the Top 40 great and a valued SOWNY member, read my plea and sent the one at the link below.

Thanks Mr. Thompson. You always come through. And despite all my rants against the over playing of seasonal music, Merry Christmas!

1050 CHUM Christmas Jingle