sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 10, 2020 11:11 am  #1

Will This Affect Satellite Reception and Radio DX-ing?

I admit it - science and math were never my strong suit. That may be how I wound up in broadcasting! So when I read that some strong solar flares were loosened from the sun this week and are hitting the Earth on Wednesday and Thursday, I wondered - will these unusually strong solar emanations affect satellite transmissions and/or DXing on the radio? 

It seems to me whenever this happens, pulling in distant stations becomes a lot more hit and miss. Anyone know if most of my over-the-air listening for the next few days after sunset will all be local? I doubt it will improve reception, but hey, anything's possible.  

A Powerful Solar Flare Produces Bright Northern Lights This Week

December 11, 2020 10:27 am  #2

Re: Will This Affect Satellite Reception and Radio DX-ing?

In the past, when solar flares occurred, I always found the radio dial much quieter. The usual clear channel frequencies were as silent as daytime. Regional stations, while listenable, were much weaker.

December 11, 2020 4:07 pm  #3

Auroral propagation, can cause interference to satellite communications, cause AM and shortwave radio blackouts and even can effect FM signals on the FM band. Au DX'ing can also bring in distant FM signals making them sound muffled and even make analog television signals look fluttered.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_and_FM_DX#Auroral_propagation

December 11, 2020 4:24 pm  #4

But can it help me pick up radio stations from Mars?