sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2020 10:54 am  #1

Must See TV Special On Radio – If You Can Get It

Windsor-Detroit broadcast legend Robin Seymour not only worked in radio in the Motor City but also hosted a well remembered dance show on CKLW-TV for several years.

On Monday night, WTVS, the PBS station in Detroit, is airing a two hour special called “Rockin Robin: A Tribute To Robin Seymour,” about the veteran DJ, who passed away last spring. Several Detroit radio legends pay tribute to the late personality, and if you grew up in either the Motown or Windsor area, you’ve almost certainly heard of him.

Because the Channel 9 signal reached the big city across the lake, his Swingin’ Time show managed to attract all the big names on the Motown label, who simply crossed the border to perform on the local version of “American Bandstand.”

Sounds intriguing. But the question remains will you be able to see it? It airs live Monday night at 8 PM Eastern on Channel 56 and if you get that station over the air or on cable/satellite, there won’t be a problem. The station also insists it will be streaming the show at the same time as its live broadcast.

But a notice on the site indicates it won’t be made available On Demand, so if you don’t see it when it goes by, you might not be able to later on. I’m pretty sure none of the PBS stations allow a stream into Canada, but you may be able to watch if you have a VPN.

Which makes this true appointment TV if you want to see it. And, if you can.

Here’s where you can find more info on the show, although it’s pretty limited

And this is where the stream is supposed to be Monday night.

I envy those who get Detroit in their channel package. This sounds like a great documentary.

November 29, 2020 12:07 pm  #2

Re: Must See TV Special On Radio – If You Can Get It

Most Cogeco systems, even here in eastern Ontario, carry WTVS in HD on channel 715... gonna set my TiVo to record this special.

November 29, 2020 12:58 pm  #3

If you google Swingin Time some cuts will come up from youtube.  One video is 48 minutes long. Starts off a little rough with some video break up, but does clears up. Really worth taking the time to watch these cuts on youtube.   CKLW TV ran the show for 3 years and it was syndicated for a few years.  CBLT Toronto apparently ran the show for a while.

These shows were common on local TV stations but  CKLW TV didn't just play records with kids dancing.  They brought in a lot of the groups to lip synch their hits.  Like the radio station CKLW TV played Motown and the new bands from the Detroit Windsor area. They didn't ignore Windsor at all and promoted a lot of concerts, bands and clubs in Windsor as well as Detroit.

CKLW TV is not mentioned very much with promoting the music of the Motor City but really does deserve  credit along with The Big 8.  Swing Time was on five days a week at 3:30 in the afternoon from 1965 to 1968, and actually pre dates the Motown era of CKLW radio.

I don't watch my Detroit stations that often but I will tune in for this on Monday on PBS.

Last edited by paterson1 (November 29, 2020 12:59 pm)

November 29, 2020 1:18 pm  #4

I'm not sure if this is a segment from the special or a separate show - although it was only put up a few days ago. But it does give a flavour about the man and the special to come. Hopefully, someone will record the show and put it up on YouTube, so those of us who can't see it will get the chance.

November 29, 2020 2:50 pm  #5

A double header tomorrow on PBS Detroit.  Right after the Robin Seymour special is Aretha Franklin Remembered (My Music) a two hour special that features never before seen TV appearances from over five decades.  Don't know if this has aired before or new.

November 29, 2020 3:04 pm  #6

You know what's interesting to me about this (on behalf of those of us who don't get the station) is the somewhat mixed message they're sending. 

A comment left on the site asks this question from an ex-pat Detroit resident: "Will I be able to stream the repeat all the way here in Hawaii?" The answer from a station rep is: "It airs on 11/30 at 8p ET – at that time you can watch the livestream here," followed by a link.  

But playing around with the interface while on the U.S. VPN, it asks for your location and if you're not in the Detroit area, it won't let you watch it. It's geo-blocking right down to the state. Elsewhere on the site it indicates that "we don't stream to Canada," which is something WNED also follows. I understand rights issues, but I'm guessing in the case of Buffalo, at least, a vast majority of their donors come from north of the border. 

If they can geoblock based on the border, surely they could figure out a way to at least let Toronto or Southern Ontario residents watch it over the net. Same with Windsor for Detroit. I'd be plenty pissed if I was a donor and was told my money is good - but my location isn't!

November 29, 2020 4:04 pm  #7

Rogers offers a non HD version of WTVS on digital cable. I think if you have Ignite, the HD signal is available.

November 30, 2020 9:42 am  #8

According to a piece in RadioInk by veteran radio archivist Art Vuolo, the special will include some familiar names beyond just Seymour. 

"Featured in this TV special will be names you may know like: Pat St. John, Dick Purtan, Bob Green, Steve Schram, Scott Westerman, Art Vuolo and Detroit marketing guru Mike Seltzer. You’ll also see Martha Reeves, Bob Seger, Stevie Wonder, Mitch Ryder and others."

November 30, 2020 9:02 pm  #9

November 30, 2020 10:38 pm  #10

Have to say that was a great show - even with the pledge breaks! I hope it winds up on the net at some point. 

December 1, 2020 1:12 am  #11

Art Cervi, who worked with Robin on Swingin' Time and was among those paying tribute on last night's PBS Detroit show, went on to become a very popular Bozo The Clown on CKLW-TV.
You could always hear him coming down the hall in his huge, floppy shoes.

Last edited by mike marshall (December 1, 2020 9:07 am)

December 1, 2020 3:07 pm  #12

A well done program with lots of great interviews with the people who were part of Robin Seymour's career.  Seymour was obviously one of the pioneers of rock and roll radio in his radio career on WKMH, WKNR and CKLW. 

Nice that the program gave credit to often overlooked CKLW TV, which also played an important part in making Detroit a powerhouse musically. CKLW-TV pioneered teen music dance shows in 1956 with Top Ten Dance Party which eventually morphed into Swingin Time.  

CKLW TV also had a very interesting history being an affiliate of CBC but also owned by RKO until 1970.  The station for much of it's history was a hybrid of mostly Canadian programming even running both CBC and CTV programming for years. 

Because Windsor/Detroit was considered one market CKLW TV couldn't show any US network programming since everything was available from the network affiliates in Detroit.  

But they did find success with some local programming, and Swingin Time and later The Lively Spot,  were examples of shows popular on both sides of the border.   Swingin Time was syndicated in the US and ran on various CBC affiliates in Canada.