sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 28, 2020 8:37 pm  #1

WEBR Announcer Dies From COVID-19

Jack Horohoe had been in Buffalo radio for decades, starting with the great Hound Dog Lorenz. He recently made a comeback, of sorts, with a shift on the new WEBR 1440 AM, (formerly WJJL) after 49 years away from the mic. But the coronavirus, as it has too often for too many, caught up to him and he passed away at age 77.

Buffalo broadcaster Jack Horohoe passes away from coronavirus

From July 7:

He's back on the radio after a 49-year hiatus

November 28, 2020 9:51 pm  #2

Re: WEBR Announcer Dies From COVID-19

It's interesting to see Barry Lillis in this add.  I wondered what happened to him; after he left Buffalo TV.

November 28, 2020 10:22 pm  #3

Barry Lillis didn't leave Buffalo TV as much as Buffalo TV left him. He was a raging alcoholic for much of his life, even though he hid it well on air. Eventually it cost him his job, his marriage and almost his life. The story was outlined in this 2011 article from his old stomping ground, WGRZ.

"That was an act. The weather guy - the happy, dappy weather guy, that was an act. That was an act to get the money to drink. I just drank and drank and drank and drank. Sometimes you had too much to drink and you had to watch that you weren't slurring your words too much on the air."

Barry Lillis Shares His Story of Alcoholism and Redemption

November 29, 2020 1:35 am  #4

John D wrote:

It's interesting to see Barry Lillis in this add.  I wondered what happened to him; after he left Buffalo TV.

He's a priest now. 

November 29, 2020 10:34 am  #5

It's nice to see WEBR 1440 (aka WJJL) managed to find a very classic format & also find people who lived those times, even though it's 2020.
GOOD for them...soon it just might not be possible anymore.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.