sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2020 2:32 pm  #1

How Did This Guy Ever Afford A U.S. Network TV Ad?

Last night, I was scrolling my DVR through the leftovers before the delayed episode of The Simpsons on Fox (no simsub for an antenna user!) when I stopped short to watch an ad - something I rarely do. 

It was for a guy who vaguely resembled a grown-up version of Billy Mumy, who played "Will Robinson" on the old Lost In Space. Except this wasn't fiction, although at first I thought it was. 

It was a full network ad on Fox for a guy named Brock Pierce, who, in case you didn't know - and I'm certain you didn't - is running for president of the United States. 

Brock who? At first, I thought it was a joke from the Simpsons producers, but no, I went to his website and there was his platform. The first priority on his list seemed to be about making cannabis legal and dropping all drug charges against people. (Hey, he could actually win in this country!) 

He's clearly the fringiest of fringe candidates, but I was astounded that he attracted enough money to fund not only one commercial on a major American network, but two (a second one aired later in the episode.) And maybe more that I don't know about.

I've heard of strange people entering the political field. But I can't recall ever seeing one of them with absolutely no shot at winning pony up enough bucks to get a breath of primetime air, which can't be cheap. Not even Kanye West managed to do that!

Did anyone else see this bizarre moment of TV in what's already been a very strange campaign?

Brock Pierce's website

Edit: According to Wikipedia, he was an actor in two Mighty Ducks movies, along with other bit parts, and made his fortune, such as it is, in cryptocurrency. Which may explain how he paid for the ads. But outside of an ego stroke, what a waste of money!  

Last edited by RadioActive (November 2, 2020 2:38 pm)

November 2, 2020 7:38 pm  #2

Re: How Did This Guy Ever Afford A U.S. Network TV Ad?

Biden is also promising to make cannabis legal nation-wide.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 2, 2020 7:58 pm  #3

It would be interesting to see what the networks have been getting for some of their avails.  With network ratings at an all time low, it might be surprising what a 30 second spot would go for as compared to five or six years ago.  

Biden wants to legalize pot??  Aw, come on man!!  Like the way Joe always says something about his home town Scranton Pennsylvania.  Bill Davis was like that too,  he would always make a reference to Brampton in every speech. Hence the handle "Brampton Bill."

November 2, 2020 9:26 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

Hence the handle "Brampton Bill." 

"Bland works".

November 12, 2020 12:45 pm  #5

CNN ran some rather unusual ads this past week. One was a primetime evangelical begathon. I could have sworn I was watching Crossroads instead of the election coverage.A lenghty, flat-out begathon for support, funds and " offerings" for the Billy Graham Jr. Ministries. Another was a blatant right wing wacko rant (think: Guns,God,and that horrid Comrade Biden and his henchmen) about saving the GOP's "stolen" election. I understand CNN might need the ad money...but these two spots stuck out like sore thumbs among the medicine and insurance ads.

November 12, 2020 3:16 pm  #6

I have seen the Billy Graham ads on several of the Seattle stations.