sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2020 8:44 pm  #1

Can You “Rent” An FM Frequency? It’s Forcing A Station Sign-Off

Normally an obscure station in Columbus, Ohio wouldn’t be of much interest to anyone here. But I’m not entirely sure I understand a bizarre announcement that’s emanating from WWCD, branded as CD102.5 in that city. Maybe someone here can explain it to me.

The FM alternative outlet has issued a major warning to listeners that beginning Sunday at midnight, they would be signing off the airwaves and going strictly onto the Internet for good. Why? The explanation is “we were unable to reach an agreement with the owner of the FCC License, and at 12:01am on November 1st, CD102.5 will leave the FM airwaves.”

I’m not sure I get this. I thought the process was you applied for a licence, got it approved and went on the air with a format you thought would attract an audience. Are you allowed to, in effect, “rent” an FM frequency from someone else? I don't think I’ve ever heard of this before.

It’s not quite the same as buying time for a specific program on a station. It sounds like it’s “renting” an entire station on a frequency you don’t own. I doubt this would be allowed in Canada. Has this ever happened before or am I reading this wrong?

AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM CD102.5   

A local TV story on the switch doesn’t offer a lot of details, either.

Columbus radio station CD102.5 moving to online-only 

October 31, 2020 9:11 pm  #2

Re: Can You “Rent” An FM Frequency? It’s Forcing A Station Sign-Off

Quite common in the US. Biggest example I can think of is ESPN 98.7 in NYC. Owned by Emmis, managed by Disney. 

LMAs (Local Management Agreements) are mostly not allowed in Canada. 

October 31, 2020 9:13 pm  #3

I wonder what will wind up on air at 102.5 when the clock strikes 12?

October 31, 2020 9:30 pm  #4

That's American radio for you!
If it's "renting" it can legally go all Mexican or something. 
The strict FCC rule is, if you are not American, you can not own an American radio station, but DO feel free to rent a station in the good ole US of A all you want...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 1, 2020 9:33 pm  #5

Howard Stern's contract was terminated at WWDC June 29 1982. Had to do with air Florida segment. 

November 2, 2020 1:46 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I wonder what will wind up on air at 102.5 when the clock strikes 12?

One of 3 things. 

1. Dead air/goes dark
2. They switched the LMA to another programming supplier/signed up with a programming service
3. will re-broadcast another station they own.

All of these are possible, but my bet is option 1 or 3. 

November 2, 2020 3:51 pm  #7

That's one I've heard (once only, June 2018) from north Kawarthas. Guess no more...

Last edited by Saul (November 2, 2020 3:51 pm)

November 3, 2020 1:11 pm  #8

Saul wrote:

That's one I've heard (once only, June 2018) from north Kawarthas. Guess no more...

The signal is still on the air, being programmed by the actual licensee while they look for a new buyer/renter. You'll hear it again!

November 23, 2020 2:21 pm  #9

Just to conclude this thread, it looks like this station that went off the air and online only is back - and probably, better off than before, gaining not only a new frequency, but an extra one on AM as well. A fitting end to an odd little radio story. 

CD102.5 gets a new life on the airwaves under new frequency

November 23, 2020 3:05 pm  #10

Some radio stations serving San Diego operate this way. Those stations have their transmitters across the border in Tijuana, but their signal covers San Diego, and their programming is in English and is tailored for San Diego audiences (Mexican media doesn't allow foreign ownership of broadcast licenses). 

In the last few years, a couple of radio stations have shut down because of issues between the radio station, and the transmitter owner. Most recenty, XHPRS-FM Max 105.7 and XEPE-AM ESPN 1700 were taken off the air due to a payment dispute between their company and the owner of their transmitters. 
https://radioinsight.com/headlines/172835/mexican-owner-pulls-105-7-max-fm-san-diego-programming-in-rent-dispute/

The old FOX/CW affiliate in San Diego (XETV) also operated this way, the newsroom/sales teams/production studio were in San Diego, but master control and transmitter were in Tijuana.