sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2020 10:13 pm  #1

40 Iconic Songs That Were Banned From The Radio For Ridiculous Reasons

September 29, 2020 11:12 pm  #2

Re: 40 Iconic Songs That Were Banned From The Radio For Ridiculous Reasons

these lists are always hilarious.  some other songs come to mind.
in the 90's the CBSC had an issue with "discovery channel" by bloodhound gang....and then of course "money for nothing", dire straits. 
There was also a moratorium on "new orleans is sinking" by the hip, and stevie ray's song "texas flood" during hurricane catrina.

September 30, 2020 12:39 am  #3

Just imagine the list of songs it would be great to have banned from the airwaves. Radio folks have a love/hate relationship with the music we get exposed and then overexposed to at work.

Have they banned Disturbed "Down With the Sickness" yet? I know the former spirit of radio used to play it a LOT and I think it's still in rotation..

Last edited by betaylored (September 30, 2020 12:47 am)

September 30, 2020 2:56 am  #4

#37 Puff the magic Dragon was banned for radio play? WOW!  

Did CHUM ever go with that ban?
The song found it's way back on the radio YEARS later.

Seems like only yesterday (1991) when CHUM was doing their top 300 oldies countdown. 
I forget the CHUM jock's name, but it was priceless what he said. 
"OH MY GOD!! Puff the Magic Dragon IS NOT happy being at song number one OH one!!"

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 30, 2020 7:21 am  #5

Could there be any more ads on that page? It kept messing with my browser! I only made it to 20 something before giving up, and of those some I knew about (Lola and Coca-Cola, for one).

September 30, 2020 7:37 am  #6

You can try using a free ad blocker on sites like that if you don't have an objection to them. I was using Ad Block Plus and never saw a single advertisement. I have no problem with sites placing some ads on their pages -everyone deserves to monetize  their work - but when they go too far, this is often a good solution. It can be turned on or off whenever you want for sites that don't allow its use.

https://adblockplus.org/

September 30, 2020 8:08 am  #7

Of the 40 songs, there were 15 I had never heard of and another 3, I was aware of, but had never listened to them.  Also, when it charted, I think CHUM played the Cherry Cola version of the Kinks song Lola. It would be years later before I would learn the true story of the lyrics.

September 30, 2020 9:37 am  #8

mace wrote:

Of the 40 songs, there were 15 I had never heard of and another 3, I was aware of, but had never listened to them.  Also, when it charted, I think CHUM played the Cherry Cola version of the Kinks song Lola. It would be years later before I would learn the true story of the lyrics.

Now that I think about it, which version does Boom 97.3 play?

Original version: 

"Cherry Cola"

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 30, 2020 9:43 am  #9

Terry O'Reilly's terrific "Under The Influence," currently on hiatus until January on CBC Radio 1, told the whole story behind the incredible machinations Ray Davies had to go through trying to save "Lola," so it could be played on the BBC. You can read this incredible story at the link below. 

Why Ray Davies flew 26,000 km to save "Lola"

September 30, 2020 10:01 am  #10

Radiowiz wrote:

#37 Puff the magic Dragon was banned for radio play? WOW!  

Did CHUM ever go with that ban?
The song found it's way back on the radio YEARS later.

Seems like only yesterday (1991) when CHUM was doing their top 300 oldies countdown. 
I forget the CHUM jock's name, but it was priceless what he said. 
"OH MY GOD!! Puff the Magic Dragon IS NOT happy being at song number one OH one!!"

Sometimes I think that these things get overstated. Puff was a big hit on both CHUM (#5) and Billboard (#2) in 1963. I did a search to see when Agnew complained about the song, and found that it was in 1970. I remember hearing it on CHUM on my radio when I was growing up, and 1970 was the year that I got my first radio. I don't know if Agnew's comments had any significant impact on it being played in the US, but this was so long after it was a hit that I doubt they made much difference ... I can't imagine that most rock stations would have cared about how Agnew felt about it.

And on a side note, I remember being with my father when he had won something at a supermarket and the skill-testing question was the name of the US Vice-President ... I was following politics by the time that this happened, but had no idea and didn't even recognize his name when my father said it. After that I started to take notice of when I saw his name in the news, but I never got the feeling that he was of much relevance even in the US. 

September 30, 2020 10:19 am  #11

Lorne wrote:

I remember being with my father when he had won something at a supermarket and the skill-testing question was the name of the US Vice-President . . . I was following politics by the time that this happened, but had no idea and didn't even recognize his name when my father said it.

Vice Pres. S. Agnew's claim to fame was a wrist watch

September 30, 2020 11:09 am  #12

I have never heard Cover Of The Radio Times. Definitely made me chuckle this morning.