sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 21, 2020 4:47 pm  #1

"100 Yrs. Of Radio/100 Yrs. Of Hitmakers" Spotlights Music/Songwriters

BMI, the music publisher, Beasley Radio & Xperi HD in the U.S. are joining together for a daily special called "100 Years of Radio, 100 Years of Music," to celebrate the centennial of radio and music's place in the medium. 

"The 100 Years of Radio – 100 Years of Hit Makers limited series podcast gives music fans a front-row seat for conversations with songwriters behind some of the biggest hits of yesterday and today. You’ll learn the stories behind the songs from the people who wrote them. Each episode will focus on one writer: sometimes, they’ll just talk about one song, other times, they’ll talk about a number of hits.

"[The shows] will spotlight the songwriters behind today’s biggest hits, offering insight into the stories behind the lyrics and a song’s path from the writing room to becoming an international hit. The story will flow around how the song came to be and where and when the songwriter first heard it on the radio.

"New episodes will be released each Monday through November of 2020."

We may not have any Beasley stations in this area, but each show is available online for anyone to listen to and there's no geoblocking.

September 21, 2020 4:53 pm  #2

Re: "100 Yrs. Of Radio/100 Yrs. Of Hitmakers" Spotlights Music/Songwriters

Sounds like something Boom 97.3 did a few years ago, likely as a CCD expenditure.  I just ran across it a few months ago, but all the CanCon greats are there... Glass Tiger, Honeymoon Suite, Biff Naked, Chilliwack, Gowan.... Fun stuff.  Anyone have any further insight into these productions?

https://www.youtube.com/c/boom973Toronto/videos

September 21, 2020 6:04 pm  #3

Classic Rocker WCSX in Detroit is a Beasley station and is not geo-blocked in Canada.

September 22, 2020 7:33 am  #4

splunge wrote:

Sounds like something Boom 97.3 did a few years ago, likely as a CCD expenditure.  I just ran across it a few months ago, but all the CanCon greats are there... Glass Tiger, Honeymoon Suite, Biff Naked, Chilliwack, Gowan.... Fun stuff.  Anyone have any further insight into these productions?

I have insight into the videos as I'm the producer/director/creator of the series. There was no CCD expenditure at all. No money changed hands what-so-ever, the idea (for BTV) stemmed from a Jimmy Page video I saw then we proceeded to ask artists to pop by and record an episode. We now have over 150 episodes and still going (once it's safe again). The series for "The First Time" was inspired by a conversation I had with Gowan about the first time Eddie Schwartz heard "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" on the radio - every artist has a "first time they heard their song on the radio" story. The First Time is also a way to pay homage to the radio industry at a time where popularity for the medium is wavering.  Thanks for sharing the link and the opportunity to give some background.

Btw... Behind The Vinyl is now a podcast: https://www.boom973.com/behind-the-vinyl-the-podcast/ 

Last edited by boom boy (September 22, 2020 7:38 am)

September 22, 2020 9:18 am  #5

boom boy wrote:

splunge wrote:

I have insight into the videos as I'm the producer/director/creator of the series. There was no CCD expenditure at all. No money changed hands what-so-ever, the idea (for BTV) stemmed from a Jimmy Page video I saw then we proceeded to ask artists to pop by and record an episode. We now have over 150 episodes and still going (once it's safe again). The series for "The First Time" was inspired by a conversation I had with Gowan about the first time Eddie Schwartz heard "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" on the radio - every artist has a "first time they heard their song on the radio" story. The First Time is also a way to pay homage to the radio industry at a time where popularity for the medium is wavering.  Thanks for sharing the link and the opportunity to give some background.

Btw... Behind The Vinyl is now a podcast: https://www.boom973.com/behind-the-vinyl-the-podcast/ 

These are excellent.  Has boom ever run any excerpts on air?  Maybe on one of the specialty weekends?  Shame not to have some of the content exposed to a larger audience.  Listening to the artist talking about a song gives it a totally new perspective. This great material should be utilized!

September 22, 2020 9:30 am  #6

Yes, we've used some clips on air (the jocks individually during their shows). I've heard other stations use clips from the series as well. 

September 22, 2020 10:23 pm  #7

@ boom boy, i just assumed it was a CCD thing because these days, nobody spends money to produce extra content unless they have to....

But congrats!  fantastic series that should be promoted again.  Thanks for the background and as a huge Cancon supporter, our stories need to be told.  Need more of this kind of thing!