sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2020 4:58 pm  #1

XMJ225: The Toronto Radio Station You’ve Probably Never Heard

It’s been around since 1976 but most of us have either never heard of it or can’t tune it in. It’s called WeatherRadio (but really XMJ225) and you won’t find it on most radios. The station is run by Environment Canada and is only available on VHF radios. It can be tuned in at 162.400 if you have access. 

So what is this unknown long running outlet? It’s one of 185 such stations across the country (here’s the list for Ontario) that delivers non-stop weather updates for mariners or anyone who has a need for immediate and up-to-date forecasts and current conditions info. It broadcasts in both English and French.

It features someone reading the latest forecasts and warnings, if needed, and those with the proper equipment can set it to go off if an emergency is called. It could, for example, turn itself on and wake you up in the middle of the night if, say, a twister was spotted in your area. (Of course, the new emergency alert system will do the same thing on your cell phone.)

I often wonder how many people ever hear this thing or if it’s worth the money, but it’s been there, mostly underappreciated and unknown, for a very long time.

Perhaps they should start to take requests. How about “I Can See Clearly Now, The Rain Is Gone” by Johnny Nash? Or “Sunny” by Bobby Hebb? Maybe even “Telstar” by The Tornadoes. I’d like to call in during the middle of a frigid February and request Martha & The Vandellas’ “Heatwave!”

If you’ve never had the chance to hear its admittedly scratchy audio, you can listen to it live at this link. But you should hurry. There are reports the government is thinking of discontinuing the service within the next 6 months to save money and that XMJ225 could soon become an Ex-MJ225.  

September 17, 2020 7:07 pm  #2

Re: XMJ225: The Toronto Radio Station You’ve Probably Never Heard

Yup. It's come in quite handy in severe weather events. They'd be stupid to cancel it, but as is plain they've been stupid before.

September 17, 2020 7:46 pm  #3

What's the fidelity of the broadcast like?  Is it AM quality?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 17, 2020 8:30 pm  #4

The online version is terrible and noisy. Not sure what it's like on an actual VHF radio. 

September 17, 2020 8:41 pm  #5

Yeah even without the noise, it's phone quality.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 18, 2020 8:01 am  #6

I have what some may say is a stupid question. I have been told by others that it is not a stupid question if you don't know the answer, but I digress. Is VHF radio the same/similar to shortwave? I have a SONY 2010 in good working condition.

September 18, 2020 8:53 am  #7

mace wrote:

I have what some may say is a stupid question. I have been told by others that it is not a stupid question if you don't know the answer, but I digress. Is VHF radio the same/similar to shortwave? I have a SONY 2010 in good working condition.

The weather band is at a much higher frequency than shortwave. Standard shortwave tuners wouldn't be able to receive it.

September 18, 2020 9:52 am  #8

Thanks for the info.

September 18, 2020 5:43 pm  #9

Shortwave starts not far above the AM band and ends around 30 MHz.

September 18, 2020 6:21 pm  #10

Radio111 wrote:

Shortwave starts not far above the AM band and ends around 30 MHz.

Yup. And I should clarify - there are shortwave and regular AM/FM radios that can also tune into the weather band. I've got the pictured Eton radio and it does AM/FM/SW/Weather.