sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2020 11:24 am  #1

Q107’s John Scholes New Afternoon Drive Host On Sauga 960

Well, you can’t say they aren’t trying! CKNT, aka Sauga 960 AM, has just announced a new PM drivetime show, which will launch the day after Labour Day.

It’s called “The Rush Hour” (making it uncomfortably close to “The Rush” on CFRB) and will air from 4-6 PM Monday-Friday. The hosts are John Scholes, formerly of GNR640 and Q107 and Elvira Caria, who up until recently was doing on air work for Z103.5 in Orangeville.

Barry Davis, who occupied that slot for a few years, is being reassigned to a once-a-week show, but just when that will air hasn’t been announced yet.

The other question: who will host all those infomercial call-ins on 640 now that Scholes is going elsewhere?

August 31, 2020 8:42 pm  #2

Re: Q107’s John Scholes New Afternoon Drive Host On Sauga 960

Scholes was on Monday night doing the Employment Hour on 640. I believe he's working freelance, which I suppose means he could continue doing it despite the new gig. But could he really get off the air at 6 PM every night and be ready to go live with another show on a different station an hour later? 

I suppose it's possible if everything is done remotely, but that's quite a quick turnaround if that's the plan. And I can only wonder what each radio station would think of him appearing on another. I suppose it's all in his agreement and how much work he can take on at once. 

August 31, 2020 9:00 pm  #3

That guy's got a GREAT voice

August 31, 2020 9:18 pm  #4

Depends - if Corus sees the mighty CKNT the way most broadcasters used to see community cable (RIP Channel 10) then they probably don't see it as competition and don't care if someone has a side gig there. 

August 31, 2020 9:22 pm  #5

Mark my words, one day CKOC and CKNT will be sister stations. 

September 1, 2020 11:55 am  #6

i'm still getting my head around seeing people i knew, when they were first starting out (including john), getting older. it reminds me, i'm not getting old... i'm already there! 

September 8, 2020 4:17 pm  #7

This new show debuted Tuesday on Sauga 960, and they sound fine. But you'll never believe who Scholes' first guest is. Give up? Lior Samfiru, of course, the same guy he shills for every Monday, Wednesday and Sunday on 640. Also on the show: Greg Carrasco. 

The hosts are both pros, but haven't we heard enough from their guests?  

September 8, 2020 7:52 pm  #8

Charlie wrote:

I heard Carasco shilling for Oakville Nissan today.  Wasn't he with Oakville Infiniti lately? 

I had to look it up, and am certainly no "car guy", but found he's apparently the "dealer principal of Oakville Nissan and Oakville Infiniti" both (and Newmarket setting of both before that). Infiniti is the luxury division of Nissan.

September 10, 2020 8:06 am  #9

Scholes was still doing his Employment Law call-in show on 640 Wednesday. It just shows how little the stations here consider CKNT as an actual competitor.

Consider: he's doing 4-6 afternoon drive on Sauga 960, then appears an hour later on Toronto's Corus station. How he prepares a show with less than 60 minutes of prep time is interesting to contemplate, but he didn't seem to have any issues. 

I suspect the 640 stuff is freelance and if he has a contract, it's written in that he gets to do both. But under normal circumstances, you wouldn't let someone appear on one station - especially afternoon drive - and then do a show somewhere else in virtually the same market just over an hour later. But good for Scholes. Nice gigs if you can get them! 

September 10, 2020 9:09 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

I suspect the 640 stuff is freelance and if he has a contract, it's written in that he gets to do both. But under normal circumstances, you wouldn't let someone appear on one station - especially afternoon drive - and then do a show somewhere else in virtually the same market just over an hour later. But good for Scholes. Nice gigs if you can get them! 

Scholes also voices/"drives" the Newstalk 1010 and more broadly "Bell Talk Radio Network"'s weekly "Disability Law Show" (you can hear some audio of him doing that here). As you say, I suspect it's freelance and voice-for-hire (and he's pitching himself in that way via his https://www.take2media.ca/ ) - odd to hear 1010 run those promos sometimes in the same evening he's doing 640 work. I did enjoy his TM appearance in 2018!

Last edited by AspectRatio (September 10, 2020 9:10 am)

September 11, 2020 11:08 am  #11

John Scholes should not be confused with the late Steve Sholes of RCA who in 1955 signed Elvis to a then-unheard-of $35,000 contract for his services.   Elvis promptly bought his mother, Gladys, a pink Cadillac

September 14, 2020 3:27 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

Well, you can’t say they aren’t trying! CKNT, aka Sauga 960 AM, has just announced a new PM drivetime show, which will launch the day after Labour Day...

Barry Davis, who occupied that slot for a few years, is being reassigned to a once-a-week show, but just when that will air hasn’t been announced yet.

Whenever someone leaves a station - or the industry altogether - I'm often curious where they end up. We now know with Barry Davis. While a podcast he does will still eventually wind up airing on Sauga 960, Davis is mostly out of the biz for now. 

On his Twitter page, Davis - a former Fan 590 baseball stalwart - has announced he'll be working full time for Bass Pro Shops selling ATVs and boats. (Not sure the end of the summer is the best time for this, but he seems passionate about it.) 

As for whether there are any prospects he could ever return to cover baseball for Sportsnet? "For those that were hoping I was rejoining the Blue Jays broadcast, not gonna happen," he assures. "I really enjoyed my time there, but I believe that that time of my life has passed."

September 14, 2020 8:22 pm  #13

I  guess a large part of his deal is barter with john having his own spots during the day so sell 2 friends.

RadioActive wrote:

This new show debuted Tuesday on Sauga 960, and they sound fine. But you'll never believe who Scholes' first guest is. Give up? Lior Samfiru, of course, the same guy he shills for every Monday, Wednesday and Sunday on 640. Also on the show: Greg Carrasco. 

The hosts are both pros, but haven't we heard enough from their guests?