sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2016 12:41 pm  #1

Many Unanswered Questions In CHCH Aftermath

I don't know what "The Bay Observer" is (it's apparently a local Hamilton-Burlington community paper) but they've put out an interesting look at life at CHCH post layoffs. The linked article also examines how the station blew up and what can best be called the rather "irregular" way the entire sordid ending came about. 

Among its revelations:

-Not all employees received the $4,000 "severance" that tipped off workers something was amiss in the first place.

-Some of those hired back say they're essentially now part timers or on standby, still don't have full time jobs and are getting far fewer hours than they did before.

-Before the layoffs, one videographer was encouraged to step up the training for a far less experienced part timer. He was summarily cut and replaced by the guy he trained just days later. 

-Just one month before the mass firings, owner Channel Zero filed a warning with the CRTC that unless they received a subsidy like the one from the recently cancelled Local Programming Improvement Fund, which added a small amount to cable/sat subscribers' bills, the station couldn't maintain its current output. And The Commission and station ownership were at serious odds, as the CRTC tried desperately - and apparently unsuccessfully - to figure out who owned what among the company's endless amount of spun-off subsidiaries. 

It's an interesting little article and well worth the read. And with a CHCH licence renewal hearing coming up this year, this story is far from over.

Many Unanswered Questions In CHCH Aftermath 

Last edited by RadioActive (January 14, 2016 12:45 pm)

January 14, 2016 3:54 pm  #2

Re: Many Unanswered Questions In CHCH Aftermath

The editor-in-chief, John Best, is a very dear friend and excellent journalist -- who spent years in CHCH's employ.

January 14, 2016 9:26 pm  #3

John Best was the News Director at CHCH-TV 11 during the 80s.

Under John, CHCH started a noon hour newscast which was before CFTO and City began noon hour newscasts... (but maybe at the same time as Global or just after).

CHCH News at this time was also a founding member of the ISN (Independent Satellite News)  co-operative.

Professional and a nice person as well !!!

January 14, 2016 10:13 pm  #4

Interestingly no mention of Bloomberg TV Canada, launched Nov. 17th. in the article.

I believe that's where the money was moved to, from local news to national business news.  Certainly a far more profitable place to put staff.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 20, 2016 9:11 am  #5

The $4000 was not "Severance", but wages and expenses paid up to the day of firing.
And yes, amounts vary. There was no Severance. Some staff with up to 42 years service.
An HR co-ordinator was locked out of her computer when she arrived at work that fateful Friday.
It was to be her last day of work, before two weeks of vacation and then retirement. Kicked to the curb.

And then there's Howard Levitt's take on Newstalk 1010 @ 21:00 of this podcast,
https://soundcloud.com/employment-law/january-3-2016

Last edited by Centerline (January 26, 2016 11:32 am)

January 20, 2016 9:30 am  #6

And we wonder why sometimes a poor soul will just lose it and 'go postal'.

I guess, though, the sad truth is...there is never a good time to drop THAT kind of axe.  And with the economy sliding into a basket of shyte again...this will just keep on happening.

EFF the shareholders.  YOU all gamble...with people's LIVES.

[Yes I own RRSPs.  I, therefore, must be one of 'them'.  ONLY the low risk variety mind you.  I have never, though, PLAYED the stock market.  THAT just seems so dirty.  So cold.]

January 20, 2016 11:44 am  #7

Centerline wrote:

on Newstall 1010

Good one!

January 26, 2016 11:34 am  #8

January 26, 2016 11:39 am  #9

Good article, but for someone in a news position to refer to people being fired as a 'massacre' is irresponsible and brought down the tone of the entire article.   (That's where I stopped reading.)

I'm all for hyperbole, but gimme a break.   Thank god he wasn't writing the story from La Loche, Sask.

ig.

Centerline wrote:

An Op/Ed piece from Scott Urquhart in The Hamilton Spectator,

http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/6247936-leaving-chch-i-was-part-of-an-independent-tv-icon/

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.