sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2020 9:09 pm  #1

Future TVO Tribute To Elwy Yost

Elwy's Saturday Night at the Movies was usually the only broadcast source for classic uncut films,  back in the days before specialty movie channels.  In addition to the films,  his knowledge of the industry and the access he had to Hollywood veterans;  provided a wealth of excellent interviews.

https://brioux.tv/blog/2020/08/14/tvo-is-planning-a-marvelous-salute-to-elwy-yost/

August 15, 2020 3:42 pm  #2

Re: Future TVO Tribute To Elwy Yost

Elwy taught my brother English at Burnhamthorpe Collegiate, The East Mall in Etobicoke in the 60's.  He always said that Yost was a good guy and a well liked teacher. 

August 16, 2020 5:22 am  #3

I haven’t watched more than about minutes of TVO since Movies was cancelled.

August 16, 2020 8:48 am  #4

What is it about Steve Paikin's The Agenda that Sowny contributors (over decades) evidently have no respect?    I had thought it might be because TVO is taxpayer-supported, like the hated CBC, but E. Yost groupies' posts here frequently fly in the face of that 

August 16, 2020 9:31 am  #5

Kosmos Kagool wrote:

What is it about Steve Paikin's The Agenda that Sowny contributors (over decades) evidently have no respect?    I had thought it might be because TVO is taxpayer-supported, like the hated CBC, but E. Yost groupies' posts here frequently fly in the face of that 

I guess I haven't been on the site long enough to have noticed a lack of respect for Steve and TVO.   Have noticed a somewhat irrational hate of the CBC from a few on here but it seems much of that  is based on emotion and old history but not many facts.

Steve Paiken knows sports and politics and that is a good basis for a show like The Agenda, even though sports doesn't come up that much. Also he has done a good job moderating in the few political debates he has been involved with over the years.

The biography Steve wrote- Bill Davis, Nation Builder and Not So Bland After All is a great read and makes you think about our province and in my opinion our best premier.  Amazing the growth of Ontario in the John Robarts and Davis era, Where else in the world did anyone build a community college system of over 20 colleges, two new universities and expand and update the entire public school system in a matter of years?  Ontario had exploding growth and the challenge was met.  

Paiken gives Davis his due and deserved credit and I know that the Agenda will have an in depth biography on Bill Davis when he passes.  

Anyway I like TVO and Paiken.  I watch TVO more than the somewhat overrated PBS which is also excellent but for different reasons. PBS is slowly turning into good programming in between annoying and continual fund raising drives which is a shame.

August 16, 2020 3:35 pm  #6

Paterson1 Come on! How could you not possibly like Goldy Gardner during WNED's pledge drives. She certainly was talented. I never knew a person who could say Please Send Money in so many interesting and innovative ways. Actually, her real name is Barbara. Former station manager, Mike Collins gave her the nickname Goldy because of her short blond hair and it apparently stuck.

August 16, 2020 6:14 pm  #7

mace wrote:

Paterson1 Come on! How could you not possibly like Goldy Gardner during WNED's pledge drives. She certainly was talented. I never knew a person who could say Please Send Money in so many interesting and innovative ways. Actually, her real name is Barbara. Former station manager, Mike Collins gave her the nickname Goldy because of her short blond hair and it apparently stuck.

Hahaha, I am on Bell Fibe mace and I receive Detroit TV and not Buffalo, so I don't see Goldy.   Detroit PBS doesn't talk about Southern Ontario as much as WNED.  They do have as many pledge drives and they are just as annoying with strange shows like the key to eating your way to health.  Often lifestyle or self improvement programming during the drives which just seem to be infomercials with the pledge segments dropped in.  Always like when you need to sit through a long pledge break just to find out in the final segment what every day fruit or vegetable can help you live longer!  Beets and lemons!!??  Who knew!!? 

August 16, 2020 6:58 pm  #8

SNATM was well produced and Elwy was very knowledgeable. It just happened to be on TVO- I would have watched no matter where it was. There’s nothing else worth watching to me on that channel.