sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2020 7:18 pm  #1


CTV London

I was watching CTV London one night and the hash tag they displayed said #CTVBarrie.   I went on twitter and mentioned CTV London that they were displaying #CTVBarrie.  They responded back after fixing it to #CTVLondon and I found out that it was all changed in Toronto.  The person I was conversing with made it sound like everything CTV London put out went through Toronto not directly from London.  

 

August 3, 2020 7:31 pm  #2


Re: CTV London

that's not uncommon.  i sub to ctv barrie's fb page.  i often get links to london, ottawa, windsor, etc.... all the ctv2 stations, since they all share news items just like most radio groups.  as an aside, the grammar and editing is horrible on most of their posts.  fire that intern!

 

August 3, 2020 8:19 pm  #3


Re: CTV London

Actually I meant their on-air feed into Toronto and back.

     Thread Starter
 

August 3, 2020 8:31 pm  #4


Re: CTV London

Luckily everything on Twitter was fixed before any lives were lost. 

 

August 4, 2020 5:30 am  #5


Re: CTV London

JasonY wrote:

Actually I meant their on-air feed into Toronto and back.

CTV has their MEGA MASTER (MCR) in Agincourt...  


 

 

August 4, 2020 7:57 am  #6


Re: CTV London

It's amazing there aren't more on-air mistakes like this. The CTV Kitchener newscasts are switched from Toronto and while there are some errors, most are minor in nature. 

 

August 4, 2020 11:53 am  #7


Re: CTV London

zed wrote:

It's amazing there aren't more on-air mistakes like this. The CTV Kitchener newscasts are switched from Toronto and while there are some errors, most are minor in nature. 

AMEN BROTHER! AMEN!!!


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.
 
 

April 12, 2021 7:14 pm  #8


Re: CTV London

zed wrote:

It's amazing there aren't more on-air mistakes like this. The CTV Kitchener newscasts are switched from Toronto and while there are some errors, most are minor in nature. 

That's hilarious because the on-air production mistakes have been a source of laughter for many, many former Kitchener employees. Reporters left on camera for 15 or more seconds, wrong studio cameras up, a disaster of a night just recently where they attempted to go live to the same location a couple of times with no success and having the wrong video up for a story - the first 5 minutes of the Late News was a disaster that night. There has always been the occasional mistake or error when production for the News was done out of Kitchener but nothing compared once everything switched to Toronto.

I would argue that when there are errors that they are anything but minor in nature.
 

 

April 12, 2021 7:46 pm  #9


Re: CTV London

Having spent far too many late nights in a TV control room, I can tell you that after that first mistake, it's often like a snowball rolling downhill. It just gets bigger and bigger.

One error, especially if it's a huge one, can rattle the folks so much it leads to another one. Which just rattles them more and on and on it goes, at least until they can regroup in a commercial break. 

It doesn't always happen, but I've seen that kind of chain reaction take place way too many times. The hardest - and perhaps, the most important - thing to learn when working in a pressure cooker like that is to just forget about it and carry on. But it's not easy. Especially if you're the one who made the original error.  

 

April 12, 2021 7:54 pm  #10


Re: CTV London

RadioActive wrote - The hardest - and perhaps, the most important thing to learn when working in a pressure cooker like that is to just forget about it and carry on. 

Correct! No sense reminding the viewer/listener of one's mistake. Because the viewer/listener has either forgotten already or never noticed.  :-) 

Last edited by Marsden (April 12, 2021 7:54 pm)

 

April 12, 2021 8:03 pm  #11


Re: CTV London

I've noticed lately, mostly on weekends, some new faces reading the 11:00 PM local news. These new people seem much more polished and professional than their regular staff. Makes me wonder if the London newscast isn't actually being produced in Toronto on those nights.

 

April 12, 2021 8:45 pm  #12


Re: CTV London

turkeytop wrote:

I've noticed lately, mostly on weekends, some new faces reading the 11:00 PM local news. These new people seem much more polished and professional than their regular staff. Makes me wonder if the London newscast isn't actually being produced in Toronto on those nights.

It could be some of the CTV Windsor on air people.  I have noticed that London and Windsor often do a regional cast on the weekends.  I did see CTV Windsor anchor Jim Crichton heading up the CTV London/Windsor  news a few weeks back and he is good.  They also use CTV Windsor's weather person sometimes on the London casts even through the week.  I don't watch Windsor news often, but for a small CTV2 station they do have some good on air people and reporters.  This station almost closed down in 2009 when it was A channel, but the public in the Windsor area rallied support for the station and CTV reversed it's decision to close.  CBC also has  local TV newscasts for Windsor which overall are a bit slicker than CTV Windsor, again with good on air people.  They compete with 4 really big local newscasts from Detroit.

 

April 12, 2021 8:48 pm  #13


Re: CTV London

Speaking of CTV Barrie, it looks like they're in HD now. I am guessing their production control room has moved to Toronto, like what happened to CKCO?

 

April 13, 2021 10:30 am  #14


Re: CTV London

ED1 wrote:

Speaking of CTV Barrie, it looks like they're in HD now. I am guessing their production control room has moved to Toronto, like what happened to CKCO?

No CTV Barrie still does their news in the original newsroom studio in Barrie.   Even the weather is still done "outside in the garden" where Bob Mcintyre did it (R.i.p).  Lots of local commercials being aired during the news aswell. 

 

April 13, 2021 10:59 am  #15


Re: CTV London

markow202 wrote:

ED1 wrote:

Speaking of CTV Barrie, it looks like they're in HD now. I am guessing their production control room has moved to Toronto, like what happened to CKCO?

No CTV Barrie still does their news in the original newsroom studio in Barrie.   Even the weather is still done "outside in the garden" where Bob Mcintyre did it (R.i.p).  Lots of local commercials being aired during the news aswell. 

All of that can be done from a control room in Toronto.


 
 

April 13, 2021 11:45 am  #16


Re: CTV London

RadioAaron wrote:

markow202 wrote:

ED1 wrote:

Speaking of CTV Barrie, it looks like they're in HD now. I am guessing their production control room has moved to Toronto, like what happened to CKCO?

No CTV Barrie still does their news in the original newsroom studio in Barrie.   Even the weather is still done "outside in the garden" where Bob Mcintyre did it (R.i.p).  Lots of local commercials being aired during the news aswell. 

All of that can be done from a control room in Toronto.

It can be done from Hawaii if one wanted to.  

 

April 13, 2021 7:52 pm  #17


Re: CTV London

Monday night, the CTV London news ended at 11:35 as usual. Right after that the Jimmy Fallon Show always starts. But last night, when the CTV London news ended, it flipped seamlessly to the CTV Toronto news. It stayed that way for about two minutes until someone noticed and flipped the switch.