sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2020 12:35 pm  #1

I love the resiliency and positive vibes on Jazz FM, here's why

Jazz FM hosted a fund drive a few weeks ago and managed to attract $250,000+ in donations. This is incredible given the times we are in and the fact that their revenue model depends on donors.

Not only that they have a new radio feature this summer, as they are hosting "Live to Air" concerts from the Long and McQuade Studio in house as part of the TD Canada Trust Summer Jazz Fest. This weekly broadcast on Friday's at 5 pm...is hosted by Festival Director Josh Grossman...and features good local talent, doing there thing...

I just find the creativity and commitment to the community of musicians, the arts and listeners really encouraging...

Way to go!

Here is more on the Jazz Series...

https://jazz.fm/td-toronto-jazz-festival-summer-concert-series-jazzfm91/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 11, 2020 1:21 pm  #2

Re: I love the resiliency and positive vibes on Jazz FM, here's why

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Jazz FM hosted a fund drive a few weeks ago and managed to attract $250,000+ in donations. This is incredible given the times we are in ... 

I'm glad to see everything going on at CJRT - that place is sacred. It's going to take a miracle combined with solid sustained imaginative effort on the part of various arts communities to survive and carry on. I have a friend who's gig at the Rex this past spring was postponed to October, and the way things look to me now I can't see that going ahead. Humans have played music live since neanderthals discovered that three people grunting and banging stones together sounded kinda cool, and now that's mostly come to an abrupt halt. My favourite anecdote - bars opening in Montreal are slowly being allowed to reopen, but dancing is banned! Will music and other arts venues be able to survive on a seriously thinned out crowd?