sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2020 9:59 am  #1

CBC CTV BBC News Networks Cover Trump Live But Not CNN

Interesting that Pres. Trump was live on TV for about 10-12 minutes with a jobs report for the month of June a few minutes ago. Only CBC, CTV and BBC World  broke in with live coverage but CNN did not.  Actually CNN was in a commercial break and then went into a report on COVID 19.  Trumps announcement which overall was good news regarding jobs in the US not covered live by CNN.  They did about 10 minutes later, show a brief taped clip of Trumps announcement, maybe 45 seconds.  

July 2, 2020 10:12 am  #2

Re: CBC CTV BBC News Networks Cover Trump Live But Not CNN

Many of the more Liberal-oriented news outlets in the U.S. (like CNN and MSNBC) have previously announced they will refuse to take Trump's pressers live, claiming there are too many untruths being promoted and they'd rather wait and vette what was said before letting it go out over their airwaves. 

We live in interesting times...

July 2, 2020 10:32 am  #3

MSNBC carried it, too, but cut away when it started to look like Trump wasn't going to take questions.

July 2, 2020 11:03 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Many of the more Liberal-oriented news outlets in the U.S. (like CNN and MSNBC) have previously announced they will refuse to take Trump's pressers live, claiming there are too many untruths being promoted and they'd rather wait and vette what was said before letting it go out over their airwaves. 

We live in interesting times...

Fox did the same thing with Obama. They were somewhat selective of what they covered as well with live announcements, or would show "highlights" later. 

Once listening to the audio of FOX and CNN on Sirius XM on a live Obama presser.  FOX only covered about 3 minutes of a 15 minute live event with Obama. I  recall overall it was a good news announcement like today and a good economic report. 

A pox on all of their houses for doing this...

July 2, 2020 11:11 am  #5

I seem to remember CNN stating they would run his pressers on tape delay to fact check before airing them as too much has been lies and spin...   I don't blame them actually for this..   

July 2, 2020 11:43 am  #6

radiokid wrote:

I seem to remember CNN stating they would run his pressers on tape delay to fact check before airing them as too much has been lies and spin...   I don't blame them actually for this..   

Actually I expect journalism outlets to do fact-checking and due diligence. Unless they're just a live streaming service.

July 2, 2020 12:03 pm  #7

Saul wrote:

radiokid wrote:

Actually I expect journalism outlets to do fact-checking and due diligence. Unless they're just a live streaming service.

Yes I agree with fact checking and due diligence and calling out misleading or incorrect information, absolutely.  However this can all be done after the announcement when the news networks do their analysis with commentators or even a panel.  That is a great opportunity to show a clip where misinformation or an untruth was passed off as fact, and calling out the president, governor, premier or whoever.

I am a little uncomfortable with tape delay and having something cut up and parceled together already for the viewer after the fact. I think announcements or press conferences should be live as they were intended and shown intact on news networks, blemishes, and all.   Then after the event has finished, have at it, and then show the highlights and expose any lies or misleading information, that the commentators or panel can dissect. 

July 2, 2020 6:21 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

Saul wrote:

radiokid wrote:

Yes I agree with fact checking and due diligence and calling out misleading or incorrect information, absolutely.  However this can all be done after the announcement when the news networks do their analysis with commentators or even a panel.  That is a great opportunity to show a clip where misinformation or an untruth was passed off as fact, and calling out the president, governor, premier or whoever.

I am a little uncomfortable with tape delay and having something cut up and parceled together already for the viewer after the fact. I think announcements or press conferences should be live as they were intended and shown intact on news networks, blemishes, and all.   Then after the event has finished, have at it, and then show the highlights and expose any lies or misleading information, that the commentators or panel can dissect. 

The one issue with this is that many viewers don’t watch after the press conference is. I know I always click away when the talking heads come on. I prefer to watch live fact checks done online by independent journalists or just random people on the Internet, who often actually have a better scope of the issues than the MSM commentators. also, they’re unfiltered, and I like that.