sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2020 4:56 pm  #1

As Ontario MP Marwan Tabbara sat in jail over Easter,...

..there was no backlash because nobody knew

The death of local news. No way this would have gone unreported 20-30 years ago.

https://nationalpost.com/news/as-ontario-mp-marwan-tabbara-sat-in-jail-over-easter-there-was-no-backlash-because-nobody-knew

Last edited by cash (June 16, 2020 10:26 pm)

June 16, 2020 5:24 pm  #2

Re: As Ontario MP Marwan Tabbara sat in jail over Easter,...

Really? Then why didn't the correctional facility issue a press release? How the howling EFF is the media to know if not alerted? Do you want us calling every prison asking if anyone is locked up? Oh, wait, they wouldn't tell you because it's privileged info. Or do you want them to be psychic? Local News my left mammary gland. 😡

June 16, 2020 6:57 pm  #3

Electronic Frontier Foundation?

June 16, 2020 7:09 pm  #4

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Really? Then why didn't the correctional facility issue a press release? How the howling EFF is the media to know if not alerted? Do you want us calling every prison asking if anyone is locked up? Oh, wait, they wouldn't tell you because it's privileged info. Or do you want them to be psychic? Local News my left mammary gland. 😡

papers used to have reporters on the crime beat. 

June 16, 2020 7:51 pm  #5

cash wrote:

papers used to have reporters on the crime beat. 

You miss the point. There was no press release issued. Even the rose-colored glass of yestercentury would've have newspaper reporters call every prison.

June 16, 2020 8:38 pm  #6

it's a little cheeky for a media outlet to be indignant that media outlets... including their own... failed to report it.  Invented outrage.

Regardless, according to this easily found Global News Article, not even the gov't was aware for days.

Last edited by splunge (June 16, 2020 8:40 pm)

June 16, 2020 8:39 pm  #7

Yes, the police didn't issue a press release and that needs to be questioned. But had there been an active local newspaper or even a radio or TV station with a decent news department there would be at least one or two reporters who had enough of a relationship with the cops to find out something interesting had happened even without a press release being issued - or someone on the court beat checking court dockets every day and recognizing the name of the local MP! Most of the stories about a local notable getting arrested don't come from press releases but from reporters doing grunt work and talking to sources in the court clerk's office or police department on a regular basis and either being tipped off or just recognizing the name of someone appearing in court. 

Last edited by Hansa (June 16, 2020 8:41 pm)

June 16, 2020 8:54 pm  #8

Hansa is right about one thing - reporters used to have police sources that would tip them off when something significant was happening or they heard about an incident that was newsworthy. But now that there are fewer reporters and the relationship between media and police has changed, I'm guessing that happens a lot less often. 

I recall a story that Bill Blair (when he was still Toronto's police chief) told at Mark Dailey's funeral. When a major crime took place, like a murder or something equally sordid, the cops knew that every TV and radio station's assignment desk was listening in to their radio chatter. (They've since digitized most of those broadcasts and it's tough to monitor the police that way now.) Many of them spoke in a kind of code to try to stop the media from showing up. 

But Dailey had so many friends and was so plugged in with the cops that they would often say "Call Inspector 2" over the radio. Besides "The Voice," one of Mark's other nicknames was "The Inspector" and that secret moniker was designed to get him there first and give him an early exclusive on whatever the breaking crime story was.

I'm sure that still goes on, but times have changed and besides the odd Joe Warmington-type, I'm not sure anyone has those kinds of relationships anymore.

June 16, 2020 10:04 pm  #9

RA did you personally hear Bill Blair actually say that? In the current times, that _NEVER_ would happen. All police communication equipment is recorded and reviewed by the station Inspector. Also every time someone uses their radio, their badge # is recorded as well. So that cute fable could never happen today.

Frankly, I doubt it happened then. Further, it would be very irresponsible of the cops to do that to prevent contamination of the scene prior to it being secured. Sorry, but my gut tells me that's a very fowl ball. 👎

June 16, 2020 10:12 pm  #10

I was at the funeral and heard him say it. I was surprised by it, but had no reason to doubt him. It sounded like the kind of thing Mark would have been part of. It was confirmed to me by several people afterwards, so I'm pretty sure it was accurate. He just had the kind of relationship with the cops - a very valuable thing for a crime reporter. 

June 16, 2020 10:21 pm  #11

I'd love to interview one constable from those times that actually did that. If they admit to that violation of the Oath they swear to, I have a contact in IA that would be pleased to listen as well.

I wonder if Mr. Blair heard that second hand as obviously the Chief wouldn't be on scene to do that.

June 16, 2020 11:12 pm  #12

Unsure why anyone would doubt that Mark Dailey had outstanding police contacts. If you have friends on the police force in the city were you work then you have friends on the police force. I've had excellent personal relationships with different officers in several different cities including Toronto. Those police officers confided in me on more than one occasion. I was even invited along on an undercover operation one evening. I accepted the invite. All that has to happen is to have one cop befriend you.

Last edited by unclefester (June 16, 2020 11:15 pm)

June 17, 2020 1:37 am  #13

cash wrote:

..there was no backlash because nobody knew

The death of local news. No way this would have gone unreported 20-30 years ago.

https://nationalpost.com/news/as-ontario-mp-marwan-tabbara-sat-in-jail-over-easter-there-was-no-backlash-because-nobody-knew

Well hey? Is it really the death of local news?
20-30 years ago would the police still have the same reasoning?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/mp-marwan-tabbara-guelph-police-assault-harassment-1.5609272

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 17, 2020 1:41 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

Â