sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2020 4:47 pm  #1

Another Claim For First Radio Station Ever Surfaces

This one is in San Jose, California and claims to have been on the air on an experimental basis, playing records and taking requests as early as 1909 - a full decade before XWA in Montreal! It originally didn't have call letters, eventually became KQW and is now known as KCBS, San Francisco.

I doubt we'll ever entirely solve this, but several stations make the claim for being the first ever. The one above, XWA (later CFCF) Montreal, KDKA Pittsburgh and WWJ Detroit. We'll probably never know who really was first but it's fun to imagine what those early pioneers sounded like.

Site of the World's First Radio Broadcasting Station

June 11, 2020 6:45 pm  #2

Re: Another Claim For First Radio Station Ever Surfaces

I've always thought Charles Herrold deserved more recognition.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 11, 2020 8:28 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

This one is in San Jose, California and claims to have been on the air on an experimental basis, playing records and taking requests as early as 1909 - a full decade before XWA in Montreal! It originally didn't have call letters, eventually became KQW and is now known as KCBS, San Francisco.

I doubt we'll ever entirely solve this, but several stations make the claim for being the first ever. The one above, XWA (later CFCF) Montreal, KDKA Pittsburgh and WWJ Detroit. We'll probably never know who really was first but it's fun to imagine what those early pioneers sounded like.

Site of the World's First Radio Broadcasting Station

I guess it is safe to say that "Station FN" did not air any commercials for American Trucker Magazine, I Heart Radio Small Business Crisis Resource, One Hour Cash For Cars dot Com and New Vitality Green Tea Extract... or PSAs from Selective Service, AARP and Visit The Forest..  

June 11, 2020 8:52 pm  #4

But if the article is right, and he aired commercials, that would mean the longtime story about WEAF in New York City (later WNBC) being the first to do a paid spot for an apartment complex in 1922 is wrong.

I wonder how much the guy in California got for those spots and how long they let Tom Mihalik's great-grandfather drone on...