sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2020 2:52 pm  #1

Radio is one medium showing signs of growth in the pandemic

This is a U.S. based story, but I am sure it is similar in Canada, that radio's ratings have risen since the pandemic and it is one of the major mediums that has, apart from Netflix and Hulu...T.V. is off and so are newspapers, (probably because we're not on transit reading them or at work reading them).

Here is more on the story.

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/06/02/radio-does-the-lockdown-mean-good-things-for-radio/

Have you turned to radio more during these past 3 months? I know I have. 

Or what media have you gone to more during this time?

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (June 2, 2020 2:53 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

June 2, 2020 3:02 pm  #2

Re: Radio is one medium showing signs of growth in the pandemic

980 in Montreal (I believe Evanov is owner) has apparently gone permanently silent the last couple days...

June 2, 2020 3:25 pm  #3

more people listening to talk radio for opinion and comfort within their own "bubble"?

Jacobs research often operates as the article suggests... soliciting respondents from station email lists.... their already P1 base.

June 2, 2020 4:39 pm  #4

Saul wrote:

980 in Montreal (I believe Evanov is owner) has apparently gone permanently silent the last couple days...

Closed down permanently effective midnight Sunday, June 01, 2020.

https://blog.fagstein.com/category/media/radio/

June 2, 2020 5:05 pm  #5

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

This is a U.S. based story, but I am sure it is similar in Canada, that radio's ratings have risen since the pandemic 

Radio ratings have not risen since the pandemic. They're down...sharply. May has seen an uptick from April, but April was bad.

June 2, 2020 5:06 pm  #6

I am surprised there have only been two commercial stations close down so far across Canada during the pandemic.

Didn't know that Evanov's 980 Montreal was french.  So it was the only french language station in their broadcast group.  Like we have said many times, music on AM is not usually a ticket to success.  

June 2, 2020 6:34 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

I am surprised there have only been two commercial stations close down so far across Canada during the pandemic.

Didn't know that Evanov's 980 Montreal was french.  So it was the only french language station in their broadcast group.  Like we have said many times, music on AM is not usually a ticket to success.  

980 would have already been losing a ton of cash, so it would have been an easy decision to cut it loose now with the rest of the company hurting badly.

The bigger players have the cash to wait this out....but not forever.

June 2, 2020 7:19 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

This is a U.S. based story, but I am sure it is similar in Canada, that radio's ratings have risen since the pandemic 

Radio ratings have not risen since the pandemic. They're down...sharply. May has seen an uptick from April, but April was bad.

For those interested, comparing February to April:

Toronto A25-54
AMA -35%
Hours Tuned -37%

Three stations saw increases in AMA
CFRB +16%
640 +8%
CBC Music +31

Everyone else down, with pop stations hit the hardest with CHUM, Virgin, Kiss, and CHFI down on average 51%

Last edited by RadioAaron (June 2, 2020 7:19 pm)

June 3, 2020 9:38 pm  #9

June 3, 2020 9:46 pm  #10

for the period ended March 31.

Oh boy.