sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2020 3:30 pm  #1

COVID-19 Radio blues - a radio junkie takes a pause

I am a radio junkie. I probably log 8-10 hours a day most days. Mostly CFRB, CBC, WNED and AM640.

I reached a breaking point with the Covid coverage though and have taken the past two days off.

There is literally no other story, every show, every hit, every guest, every caller, everything is about Covid-19. We have never seen anything completely consume the conversation like this.

We live in interesting times. Unfortunately.

March 25, 2020 4:52 pm  #2

Re: COVID-19 Radio blues - a radio junkie takes a pause

Remember the good old days when endless shootings in Toronto was the only story anyone was talking about?

March 25, 2020 6:58 pm  #3

As true now as back in '64,  when first released:

March 26, 2020 12:32 pm  #4

Listening to several radio stations last night for music. CBC, private - same thing. Hosts need to remind me that I can connect with them while we're all isolated due to Covid. Hey, how about just telling listeners HOW to connect. We all know up our yinyangs about Covid and isolation. If I can't turn to music radio for an escape, I'll shut the damn thing off and spin CDs and other music-only options. I'm even driven away from DXing. When I'm working and in many of my daily routines Covid is inescapable. What I really need: a radio personality who can talk about OTHER things. 

March 26, 2020 1:12 pm  #5

AM 740 is pretty good. What talk they have so far usually hasn't been about the virus. And they are mostly staying with their format which musically has it's moments. Face the Music with Ben Mercer is fun.  CBC Music is a nice change as well, announcers do not seem to be dwelling on the crisis too much and they are playing some interesting upbeat tunes.

March 28, 2020 3:12 am  #6

Just like on 9/11 I wish the media could have talked about how Micheal Jackson and Liz Taylor had attended a gala the night before or how Jay-Z and Mariah Carey put out albums that day.  I think we all remember where we were when we heard the soundtrack to Glitter for the first time that day.

March 28, 2020 6:38 am  #7

paterson1 wrote:

AM 740 is pretty good.  Face the Music with Ben Mercer is fun. 

He is the Alex Trebek of 70s, 80s + 90s tunes